Titanium frame repair in UK

Re: Re:

shovelon":2s3vs6u6 said:
Did they purge it on the inside?Looks like a huge weld to me.

Can't actually tell as there is a shim obscuring the view of that portion of the interior of the tube.

Yep highlandsflyer, it's not the prettiest - but providing it holds up I can live with that. The frame gets a lot of use and if ugly keeps it on the trails I'm happy with that.

The other places I enquired at either didn't get back to me at all, or promised to get to back to me, and didn't.

Re: Re:

CTK":9mchi736 said:
Why cant we weld Ti in this country!?

I can only think demand is the problem. As a frame material, it's seriously out of fashion, and we are a much smaller country than the US.

Sometimes I've wondered about learning myself as I'm sure the UK can support more than a couple of titanium frame repairers.

Re:

Pat Banks at Limit Fabrications in Norwich carries out repairs to ti frames. He recently had an Ibis bow ti there for repair while I was colkecting my new steel frame from him.
He tells me he does quite a few ti repairs each year.

Re:

Well hopefully the generous biuldup will hold. Hope they used 6al4v as the filler. CP ti is too sofI would not use the shim thkugh as that is probably what caused the crack.

Re:

Can you have the shim extended or something, to move the stress away from there? I fear it might interfere with the rear stays and top tube welds. No reason you can't grind the weld down a little and polish it up.

The shim is built into the frame rather than a later insert and doesn't seem to be removable. I'm vaguely thinking of putting a longer seat post in there so there's more in the frame. The existing post (350mm) only just extends below the shim.

Might well have a go at tidying up the weld a little. I noticed a Bontrager Ti Lite recently posted:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=335388

has a weld in a similar place which makes me think it could look quite tidy with a bit of effort.

Re:

I assume you approached the manufacturer already? If nothing else, they might have advice on the best options.

Being Ti, and a mountain bike, I would still ride the hell out of it. It is not as though it is the headtube, and you are going to notice anything going on thanks to the position the repair is in.

Back