GT STS DH Frame (Needs Repair), Shock, AC Chain Device & Seat Post

stevti

Retro Newbie
Hello everyone!

Newbie here, I've been pointed in the direction of this site by friends who are still well into the world of bikes.

I have a GT STS DH frame, rear shock, part of the original AC Chain device and what I believe to be it's original seat post (not 100% wether it is or not). The frame has damage at the bottom of the seat tube, but I have been told that it is repairable. There is some aluminium welding needed and according to them that know more than me, the thermoplastic damage can be repaired also. Knowing what these bikes are worth nowadays, I thought I'd put it out there and see if it gathered any interest. It's been hanging on my garage wall for years and I'm currently having to start what will be an enormous clear out.

I have just been informed by Mod-Master here that everything bar the front triangle may have some value?

I spoke to an old friend, (the previous owner of this STS, and the man who did the damage initially haha!) who owns a prominent UK bike company, and he informed me that thermoplastic can be repaired and the aluminium can also be repaired with the correct skillset.

So with all that in mind, would anyone be able to help me put a rough figure on all this stuff and maybe even point me in the direction of someone who might be interested in taking it off my hands? Regardless of how much of a clear-out I have to perform I could never 'chuck this out' so I would much rather see if it could be given a second chance at life!

Kindest Regards
Steve

Attachments

• sts 1.jpg
    sts 1.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 36
  • sts 2.jpg
    sts 2.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 37
  • sts 3.jpg
    sts 3.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 36
I'm not sure who said that bb area is repairable, but I'm quite certain it isn't! That aluminium section is destroyed; it never had pins/screws in it originally and was bonded to the frame, so not replaceable. Why is there a huge hole in it? Did someone drill it for something?
What's the other side like? You could get a hundred, maybe two if you're lucky, off someone looking for wall art, but that's well done and dusted as far as riding goes. The AC bits and bobs and shock could be worth a hundred each. Stick them in the appropriate forum on this site and I'm sure someone will snap them up. The seatpost won't be worth anything though, so keep with the frame.

Yeah. That is a wall-hanger now. IMO. The trunnion-mount Super Deluxe rear shock is worth $150-200 US and the AC chain tensioner can be worth $$$ US. A harder-to-find item.
A place to get definite answers can be found here:

And just because. Gratuitous pics of my 97 STS DH size Med.
GT STSDH.jpg
STS AC Chainguide.jpg

Last edited:
Back