A query for those who've had titanium frame repairs

nicklej

Cannondale Fan
Feedback
View
I had a hard hit yesterday morning on some black ice and didn't see any damage other than a big lever scrape on my top tube and some other grazes as you'd expect.

However, today when I was cleaning my bike I noticed an "X" shaped crack about midway along the underside of the downtube.

I've owned this frame from new for 12 years now and have not had any large impact there that I recall. I use the bike daily so I don't really know how long that crack has been there.

There's a possibility it's been there for quite a while and I've just never noticed it. So is the bike still safe to ride in the meantime?

If I was to get it repaired, presumably it'd be a long lasting repair since, from my understanding, that part of the frame isn't really loaded like a weld where tubes join together.

So anyway, I'd like to get it repaired regardless of cost. Not had good luck with frames lately 🫣

PXL_20230118_123442575.jpg PXL_20230118_123513771.jpg

That being said - maybe in the last 6 months I did have a faint clicking noise when riding hard. When I press the crack gently, i can see it flexing so perhaps it was that which was resonating throughout the frame hmm

Enigma or someone will tell you how well it will fix, if its that thin maybe they'll have to weld a sleeve on it which could be functional but ugly

Opinions based on no expertise or experience

Think I read somewhere that Enigma are not doing repairs at the moment but worth a call to check.

Only you can decide if it is safe to ride really. I've done some sketchy stuff but personally I would not ride that as it stands.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have contacted enigma and coal cycles who Pipedream recommended for this repair. It will require a down tube replacement and both of their rough quotes are between £450 and £600 which I see merit in following up with because I like the bike a lot. Yes it is old and financially not the best option but I prefer to repair instead of replace where possible. Meanwhile, Pipedream say they have some older frames laying about so perhaps I'll have good fortune there instead :)

I've had a couple of repairs. A crack towards top of seat tube & chainstay to bb shell. I don't know enough to know if that's viable in that location but @danson67 might.

I used a local company who have an ex aerospace guy dedicated to Ti. Cost 25-30 per weld.

I've had a couple of repairs. A crack towards top of seat tube & chainstay to bb shell. I don't know enough to know if that's viable in that location but @danson67 might.

I used a local company who have an ex aerospace guy dedicated to Ti. Cost 25-30 per weld.
My curiosity makes me wonder whether the crack would worsen in this location or not since I truly have no idea how long it has been there. If it could simply be welded I'd have that done but obviously I don't want to find the crack worsens afterward. I'll wait for more info back from Enigma first and see what they suggest. In the meantime, I will hunt for a new frame - just bought a new ti fork too so need a frame that'll fit onto!

Back