A query for those who've had titanium frame repairs

Delving back into parts of my brain last used at college, the crack will very likely continue to grow. Fixing cracks involves something like drilling a hole at the end of each crack which removes the stress raising point and then welding. However, On a section of tubing that thin ? I don't know, a tube replacement sounds the safest thing.

The fact you ask if it’s safe means you truly know the answer

Enigma are good. If Danson does Ti his work is great.

I had a cracked Ti frame and looked briefly into repairs and there isn’t many options in the UK.

The bit I learned was that Vernon Barker really really couldnt weld Ti in a pretty way but he’s not an option any longer.

The crack appears to have propagated a fair bit. About what, 20% of the underside circumference left?

Best not ride it, it's close to tearing all the way. Down-tubes actually have a fair bit of stress on them.

Can't help with anything regarding this type of repair. The only repairs I've had done were cracks in welds.

I took it for a short ride just about half a mile to assess the safety of it and I must have been quite lucky to get to work without it failing entirely! From my short ride it opened up a lot more so thanks for advising caution! Anyway, that's toast for now :( PXL_20230118_171503276.jpg PXL_20230118_171449356.jpg

Be careful that you don’t/haven’t damage the top tube by riding it
I'm just going to replace the frame now. I don't trust it at the moment especially as this originally came out of nowhere. It is funny in hindsight that the small click i could hear when pedalling hard out of the saddle must have been the crack beginning. I'm not riding this anymore.

I took it for a short ride just about half a mile to assess the safety of it and I must have been quite lucky to get to work without it failing entirely! From my short ride it opened up a lot more so thanks for advising caution! Anyway, that's toast for now :(

...so you didn't read my post about 1 hr before you posted this. :p There's a fair few posts and images over the web about down-tubes failing on road bikes at either the down-tube gear lever boss or bottle cage boss. The speed of failure and loss of bike control can be absolutely catastrophic with a handful of minutes to react. You had about 5% left there! It's worth keeping for a wall hanger!

Think you should be grateful and pleased with yourself nothing nasty happened TBH. Bikes can be replaced easily enough.

Why has the fact the crack has gotten worse put you off having the tube replaced?

Tube replacement is generally the only way to effect a long last repair on any kind of crack.

Back