A query for those who've had titanium frame repairs

Why has the fact the crack has gotten worse put you off having the tube replaced?

Tube replacement is generally the only way to effect a long last repair on any kind of crack.
It hasn't entirely put me off but since it's my only bike, looking for a quick solution is a priority. And right now it'd be quicker to replace it than to wait for a repair to be done.

Interesting. Doesn't look like impact damage. I think your guess about the click from the last six months is likely correct. My titanium frame failures have manifested themselves exactly as that.

I'd get a new bike/frame personally. I think titanium is far from the lifelong frame material it's made out to be. Maybe it could be, but I suspect few builders have the experience to build a titanium frame which gives it that special ride feel and make it long lasting. Yes, I know some of you have 30+ year old titanium frames, but I doubt many of you are riding them daily.

I had a titanium frame failure on a weld fixed, and it simply failed elsewhere within a year. If you feel really attached to it, maybe get it fixed and use it for light work.

I think my Lynskey has a lifetime warranty but quite what that would mean in practice I don't know.

I looked into this a while ago; Moots still offer a lifetime (for the original owner) warranty, but most have a lifetime of the product, Noted too it may not be the same for MTB or Road. Van Nicholas sets the lifetime of a Ti frame at 25 years which isn't bad at all.

That is just the weirdest frame crack i have seen. It is so symmetrical.
Yeah and unless I’m mistaken looking at the last pic coincides with the bottom of the seat post
Almost like it’s busting out and making a break for freedom akin to the scene in alien with John Hurt

Yeah and unless I’m mistaken looking at the last pic coincides with the bottom of the seat post
Almost like it’s busting out and making a break for freedom akin to the scene in alien with John Hurt
The crack is midway along the downtube which does seem odd. I've now ordered the same frame but in steel (Pipedream had a few NOS ones in my size) which means I can transfer my parts over except the headset. So not too bad of a deal. My new ti fork will arrive soon but will probably looks very out of place on a candy red frame. We shall see!

My bad - that what you get for looking at a pic and jumping to conclusions

Move along nothing to see here ! 😂

I looked into this a while ago; Moots still offer a lifetime (for the original owner) warranty, but most have a lifetime of the product, Noted too it may not be the same for MTB or Road. Van Nicholas sets the lifetime of a Ti frame at 25 years which isn't bad at all.

Van Nicholas also have (or used to) a scheme where if you buy secondhand you can send the frame, pay at the time 150 quid and they will check it/re-guarantee it. The only problem I've found with VN (I still have one) is their frames are slightly deader in feel to the other titanium frames I've had.

Reactions: Woz
Back