Thumbshifters ; untill when

Having had several sets of both types the XT are nicer in action and appearance,but to be honest they are all in my opinion very second best to rapidfires.
Good bit is being able to finely adjust the front mech to avoid any rubbing, but hardly the best place for a shifter on the bars

One thing to look out for is the clamp bolt not tightning properly due to stripped threads.
Seems to be a common fault on them

1992 was the last year of the thumbshifters for Shimano.

i.e. 1993 groupsets (so probably in 1992 then) was when the groupsets thumbies and U-brakes where dropped both for XT and DX.

Suntour I think still had them,

though if it is '91 / '92 you can use RF+ XTR or XT, if '92 then you will get away with DX RF+ (they joind DX in '93 groupset).

http://www.mombat.org/Shimano.htm#1992
;)

Cannondale used thumbies in 1992 & 93 in their top-end bikes (except Super V3000). For 1994 models they converted to RF+ and GripShift.

I had sti 'underbar' shifters on my '90 Fisher but changed them for gripshift when everyone was smashing them up with their knees!

On my '91 Supercal it had thumbies still. (Suntour XC Comp)

Huntso":bbjw23w8 said:
Having had several sets of both types the XT are nicer in action and appearance,but to be honest they are all in my opinion very second best to rapidfires.

I have to say I disagree with that.

Whilst rapidfire / STI was quite an innovation, I do think they are way over-engineered for what they do. When they're working well they're great, I'll grant you, and rapidfire plus was truly a step forward in ergonomics from push-push.

But I don't think you can beat thumbies from a simplicity and performance perspective. Yes they're placement may not be as ideal as rapidfire plus, but on the other had, they don't need quite the precision of hand position either.

They're much more robust than rapidfire, and much less prone to the foibles and issues of rapidfire when they play up.

For use, I'm with you, I think rapidfire plus is great. But for longevity and robustness, then it's thumbies for me.

I still cry at night ,thinking of those nice Deore thumbies, i let slip from my grasp
Its the friction setting i love,you can never have the chain rattling through the mechs ,just a tweak and its set to perfection
I'd love to get a nos pair of xt ones ,pity im skint at the mo :(

Had Sti rapidfire on my Rooky Mountain from 1990 but did have XT thumbshifters on another bike from 1993

Broke the rapidfire units though :cry:

according to the seller these are XT,..is he right?

left.jpg

right.jpg

Back