Need some new wheels, and some advice.

Seca Blue

Retro Guru
I’ve run Paris Dakar rims and hubs forever and always loved the durability and look but they are a bit porky and the rims are a really tired now. Now the rear hub needs an overhaul seems like the right time to find an alternative set that’s as nearly as durable but lighter but I have no idea what.

A similar look, something silver and elegant to match a Roberts, rather than anything Ringleish so first thoughts are White Industries and a more recent Mavic hub.
Currently use 732 thumbshifters and a screw on 7speed freewheel. Don’t mind changing to a cassette but want to keep the shifters.

I ride the bike every weekend, so needs to be dependable.

Any thoughts?

It sounds like you fancy a change but if you've always loved the hubs and they look sweet on your Roberts, I'd service the bearings, find a nice pair of lighter rims and get a re-build. The rims are the porky element. As long as you have a supply of freewheels to cover you for the forseeable - good ones seem to be getting thinner on the ground and more pricey as you probably know. I've a similar Mavic road hub on a track bike - it spins sooooooo nicely and it must be getting on for 40 years old.
Or spend spend spend spend on something entirely different, high-class and new/er! You could find something nice/ regular/ reliable for the rear, something XT/ XTR from Shimano, but go all dandy up front; an old Pace carbon jobbie would be quite cool on an old Roberts, or indeed a Ringle. Or something from Hope with a splash of colour?

It sounds like you fancy a change but if you've always loved the hubs and they look sweet on your Roberts, I'd service the bearings, find a nice pair of lighter rims and get a re-build. The rims are the porky element. As long as you have a supply of freewheels to cover you for the forseeable - good ones seem to be getting thinner on the ground and more pricey as you probably know. I've a similar Mavic road hub on a track bike - it spins sooooooo nicely and it must be getting on for 40 years old.
Or spend spend spend spend on something entirely different, high-class and new/er! You could find something nice/ regular/ reliable for the rear, something XT/ XTR from Shimano, but go all dandy up front; an old Pace carbon jobbie would be quite cool on an old Roberts, or indeed a Ringle. Or something from Hope with a splash of colour?
If I can get the rear open then I'd be more than happy keeping them alive. The bearings on the front still spin forever and the rear has only just gone after 35 years.
Truth be told I love seeing that Mavic logo spinning around while I'm riding anyway...
If you see here, I don't think a Ringle or anything chunky would work tbh. The Mavics are a lovely gunmetal finish, so need that or silver tbh.

I can't find the weight of the rims, so not sure what my target in a replacement should be.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 37
Fantastic looking bike and I can relate to the appeal of an all Mavic wheelset. I´d be tempted to search for some decent M231 (CD for dark ano) rims. They should save you a decent amount of weight (100-150g) compared to the Gao rims (I think they´re comparable to the wider M261 or even M281). Further weight savings while staying with the Mavics would be achievable with DT Swiss Revo spokes or similar and aluminium nipples.

Fantastic looking bike and I can relate to the appeal of an all Mavic wheelset. I´d be tempted to search for some decent M231 (CD for dark ano) rims. They should save you a decent amount of weight (100-150g) compared to the Gao rims (I think they´re comparable to the wider M261 or even M281). Further weight savings while staying with the Mavics would be achievable with DT Swiss Revo spokes or similar and aluminium nipples.
Thank you - it's looking a bit sad close up but does take a good pic.
Right OK - I didn't realise the M231's were much lighter, and have to confess I didn't even really think about spokes.
This is a good plan thanks. It all hinges on gettig this rear hub sorted then..

Last edited:
Yeah the M231 is around 420g, the 261 (26mm wide) 460g and the 281 (28mm wide) 550g. So it depends on what rim the Gao rim is, Mavic did not specify these. It could also be that they are re- labeled earlier rims, Mavic used the M5-7 moniker. Scan_rims.jpg

Appreciate that the direction is likely sticking with the Mavic but on the Roberts, Middleburn or Royce hubs would be in keeping with it.

Latest posts

Back