Orange clockwork '92 groupset conundrum.

1992 was the year that the '93' Black LX landed in the autumn to quite a lot of fuss in the bike press. So you have 2 avenues to go. I actually like the charm & rarity of the pre-93 LX (forget shimano prefix 550?)

I have a 93 Prestige with LX.
It did but that would have gone on the 1993 Orange bikes released at the same time.

So you'd either pick up the discounted old 1992 or 1991 frame, whatever the bike shop had cheaper than the new 1993 model, and then spec it with whatever you wanted which could be 93 LX*, though really you've found some 'importer' than brings Shimano parts in from Germany that you can buy a lot cheaper, so now have XTR parts..

*or buy the discounted old LX, but that's not so trendy at the time.. 😂

The joys of buying more customisable bikes back then based around a frame model.
It's why I never had Marin/GT/Trek, they where pretty much buy as is, at least in all our shops.

It's a bit of a strange one but this has come up in one of the Orange FB groups. It appears that there was a bit of a cross over with Orange fitting some later 92 model bikes with the 93 LX groupset (the article indicates from July onwards).

Here's my original 92 framed (frame number is May 92) Clockwork with the 93 Deore LX groupset which is the same as the model tested in the MBUK September 92.
IMG_6469 2.jpg 92 CW.jpg

Basically what I was referring to in my above post. I remember the Black LX being around in the late summer of 92, I lived at my Gran's that summer.

It's a bit of a strange one but this has come up in one of the Orange FB groups. It appears that there was a bit of a cross over with Orange fitting some later 92 model bikes with the 93 LX groupset (the article indicates from July onwards).

Here's my original 92 framed (frame number is May 92) Clockwork with the 93 Deore LX groupset which is the same as the model tested in the MBUK September 92.
View attachment 812742View attachment 812743
I love that groupset, so if I don’t like it with the exage I would likely go with that, but I’ve a ‘93 with lx/xt so for now be something different and a cheap option as I have it and it owes me next to nothing to e exage kit . Lovely looking , look forward to building mine…

Back