The final straw - The return

KenG

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Today something most amazing happened thanks to fellow retrobiker, spudly. :D
Way back in February I put up the original Final straw post,http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=288142,saying how after the second break in on my garage I was ready to let it all go,I received many words of encouragement and support from fellow retrobike members, but I still decided to move most of my retro bits and bobs and keep a low profile for a while. Spudly was one member who replied to one of my ads and came to my address to buy some wheels from me,an absolute gent, he didnt want to gain from my misfortune and tried hard to persuade me to keep the gear, suggesting I could maybe relocate pieces to friends and family, I explained that my passion and heart had gone and I'd be more than pleased that other riders would get use out of my bits and bobs before the theiving scumbag came back for another go at getting what was left.
Spudly left saying he would keep an eye out for my Hahanna and gues what! yesterday I received a call from spudly saying he was sure he'd seen my bike on the other side of town locked to a fence at a factory,today i went to the location given by spudly and couldn't beleive that exactly where he said was my Hahanna, one or two bits changed,tyres, bottle cages,etc but definately my Hahanna, I sat in my car and waited while the police sent two officers and my bike is now sat in the local police station pending investigation. After talking to an officer less than half an hour ago they confirm it is indeed my bike but unfortunately it may be a while coming home as they're investigating "backwards" to try and get the original thief, the guy who had the bike at the factory bought it off Gumtree for the princeley sum of £60,he even had the original advert but I'm a little suspicious as he said the frame number had been removed before he bought it, I don't know about you but I'd never buy a bike with no frame number as it's obvious why it's been removed.
I've yet to see her close up as the officers kept me well away from the bike and "new" owner but will put up pictures when I get her back.
If theres a Retrobike "wall of fame" I'd like to nominate spudly for his keen eye and brilliant memory and most of all for getting my old faithful back. :D
Thank you so much spudly you're a true Retrobiker :D

Awesome, just proves i drive round all day staring at bikes lol!

But on a serious note im so glad its yours and it has surfaced again, the not knowing can often be more painful than the hurt of the theft, constantly looking out of the corner of your eye thinking "ooh was that my bike or not".

I was excitedly checking my phone once you had text me saying you were there and waiting the police to arrive, i can only imagine how giddy you were feeling at the same time, i hope the police dont take too long in returning it to you, but at least you know where it is and that soon enough it will be coming home!

I said id try to keep your biking spirit alive if i could mate, happy to have been in the right place at the right time, cant wait for when you post up that its back at home :D :D :D :D :D :D

Re:

Hi spudly
While I was waiting my stomach was turning over, as you know it was stood outdoor in all the rain and I was dying to go have a look and see what had been done to it but it was right in front of the smoking area with people coming and going all the time, I had visions of the guy finishing his shift and riding it home with me following slowly behind in the car.
I found it quite ironic that it had a good u lock attaching it to the metal fence, you have to look after them you know, there's some right dodgy people around who won't think twice about pinching it.
I wonder how many hands it had been through before it got to the last guy.

I can imagine how you felt as i felt similarly tbf, i was talking to our storeman at work about it and he said he hoped for your sake that the coppers arrived sharpish as some people knock off early on fridays, 'POETS' day as he called it "Piss Off Early Tomorrows Saturday (made me laugh, but also nervous in case he did bail early and you lost him)

Thats the reason i didnt get chance to take a photo of it yesterday in case i was spotted and he didnt use it for work after having seen me snooping round it, i wonder if the gumtree advert is still around, ill see if i can find it, might give us an area it came from!

Re:

I thought the same, if I get rumbled he'll probably go to ground and the bike might disappear again, then I was thinking if he comes out and gets lippy I might be tempted to see how far his u lock would go up his rear end. ;)

I missed that you'd had a second break in, but heard about it when we were out riding on Wednesday. I'm so glad your Hahanna is being returned to you!

Good spot Spud!

Cheers Will, like i say driving round looking at bikes all day has paid off well in this case, i'll bet Ken is a happy man this morning knowing exactly where his missing Kona now is, i feel all proud of my little self now (although all i did was pass on info really) one over on the theiving gits and one lost kona eventually going home where it belongs :D

Re:

I was amazed when I got the text from spudly saying he'd seen my bike, but when I got there I was gobsmacked that very little had been changed on it, I was always under the impression that bikes were split down for parts and either given a quick spray over and sold on or dumped, it goes to show that most thieves are thick and don't know know the real value of what they've taken.
Spudly recognised the blue chill pills and they were still fitted, the only thing that I could see on a limited look was it had skinny tyres fitted and the bottle cages had been changed from silver to black, I only hope that the thief was thick enough to leave the front and rear XT mech's on.

Back