Tip find GT Palomar, 199?

Ren Rawbor

Fat Chance Fan
As per my post in the "show us your GT" thread, here's the Palomar my youngest stepson just rescued from the local tip. He actually rode it back although the rear mech was bent & trying to eat the wheel so it's pictured part way through him replacing the chain & swapping the TY22 for some modern TY mech he had laying about.

It's a huge frame, 22" c/c or 23.5 centre to clamp. Too big for him and a bit on the leggy side for me even so may look into swapping for a similar age project with a smaller frame if any interest since I know there's some lanky buggers on here, just unsure if any of ya are turned on by lower mid range kit like us lol (I come from a "less wealthy" background so bikes like this while being far from dream bikes were still desirable & unobtanium in the day, I was on Townsends and Emmelles or such).

Anyway, not sure on how to date it really, from the general looks I'd say mid 90s. maybe '95/6, Canti brakes, narrow flat bars etc but then the levers & forks I'd put early 2000's (not sure if levers are original, forks maybe an option?)

Also, notice the Caratti sticker. Is this an anomaly or did they all have the primary skool spelling? :D

Attachments

• gt1.jpg
    gt1.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 43
  • gt2.jpg
    gt2.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 40
  • gt3.jpg
    gt3.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 42
  • gt4.jpg
    gt4.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 30
  • gt5.jpg
    gt5.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 32
  • gt6.jpg
    gt6.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 32

all the palomars I had the "pleasure" of working on had rigid forks, but the RST is about the right vintage and could be stock.

good bike from around the time GT were making "big box" (******* hateful term) bikes to sell in places like halfords.

bars and stem look original. could clean up in to a nice bike for someone (maybe the BFG?).

It looks like it was equiped with Altus or acera and tourney, that fork not sure if it is factory (I have seen more Palomar with that RST, but the rigid one is the most common) but it looks out of place, perhaps a 381 was more suitable. Here is the spec list: https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?item=73743

My Marin is from 1996 and has V brakes, but this one is cantilever because it is low specs, and even in that year still some companies used cantilever brakes.

I have find a shop with lot of NOS rst that all have the same problem ... they don´t have steer tube 😒

It is a bit big ... the solution could be ... 😅

1695220618479.jpeg

all the palomars I had the "pleasure" of working on had rigid forks, but the RST is about the right vintage and could be stock.

good bike from around the time GT were making "big box" (******* hateful term) bikes to sell in places like halfords.

bars and stem look original. could clean up in to a nice bike for someone (maybe the BFG?).

Haha you enjoyed them back in the day then...

Think GT were probably trying to capitalise on their computer game product-placement of the era (Used to love playing Courier Crisis on PS lol) with getting into halfrauds etc.

Actually the lad might be keeping hold of the bike now after all, he's 13 and 5'10" already, and having got it tuned up a bit (The replacement modern Tourney mech got binned as soon as he found a more period TY unit as it had less plastic & better tolerances, he's got his head round adjusting cantilever pads & swapped the damaged Kalin (Kalloy knockoff?) seatpost for something that actually clamps the seat) he's been riding it round and fallen in love with the thing.

It looks pretty original all round to be fair, I don't think it's had a very hard life or covered many miles. The seat is GT branded & the riveted SR Suntour chainset looks 90s too, wheels certainly seem as old as the bike. Under the bar tape was even GT branded grips, not worn out but rotten sadly. I wouldn't be surprised if the rusty chain was original too. Saying that, it has obviously seen some weather and there's corrosion wherever the paint has chipped but I've suggested to him to give it a light go-over with scotchbrite & WD and see how it comes up. Like you say, it ought to clean up pretty nicely.

Haha you enjoyed them back in the day then...

Think GT were probably trying to capitalise on their computer game product-placement of the era (Used to love playing Courier Crisis on PS lol) with getting into halfrauds etc.

Actually the lad might be keeping hold of the bike now after all, he's 13 and 5'10" already, and having got it tuned up a bit (The replacement modern Tourney mech got binned as soon as he found a more period TY unit as it had less plastic & better tolerances, he's got his head round adjusting cantilever pads & swapped the damaged Kalin (Kalloy knockoff?) seatpost for something that actually clamps the seat) he's been riding it round and fallen in love with the thing.

It looks pretty original all round to be fair, I don't think it's had a very hard life or covered many miles. The seat is GT branded & the riveted SR Suntour chainset looks 90s too, wheels certainly seem as old as the bike. Under the bar tape was even GT branded grips, not worn out but rotten sadly. I wouldn't be surprised if the rusty chain was original too. Saying that, it has obviously seen some weather and there's corrosion wherever the paint has chipped but I've suggested to him to give it a light go-over with scotchbrite & WD and see how it comes up. Like you say, it ought to clean up pretty nicely.
Gt bmx was still a good bike at the time. Still got a performer in the loft.
Low to mid Mtb and hybrids were brand in store but the higher ups (lts, early I drive etc.) Were still fantastic bikes. Wouldn't knock these either to be fair.

I thought Caratti lost the distribution contract around 98 which led GT to strike an agreement with hellfrauds.
tail end of 98 after the summer sales from memory. low end stuff was already moving around without Caratti involvement before then I think. long time ago, many late nights, drugs, beer and debauchery since then.

Back