Tip find GT Palomar, 199?

Just returned from another round of tip shopping with the lad, folding bike he was after had gone but I spotted something that piqued my interest. More because of the Carratti sticker (without the missing I in Distributer but still not distributor!) on the frame. But anyway, it's a "Shogun Tuff Trail" (Saracen Tufftrax knock off?) in a nice emerald green colour. No wheels with it but really nice shape Altus & Acera-X bits. I paid a tenner just for the curiosity value. Guessing from the looks (Altus BB mounted front mech/cantiss & early looking gripshift) and frame number (beginning R960...) it's about a '96 but just the condition and similarity

Then as we were leaving I spotted a guy wheeling something with Marzocchi forks & disc brakes... "you tipping that mate?"... "yeh"... "can we have it please?"... It's a Dawes Thorn Hill, never heard of the model and doesn't look like it was very popular. Perhaps the name put folk off with the thought of endless punctures, this one certainly had 2 flats anyway :D Decent little later-model parts haul, looks to be mid-noughties & mostly Alivio & Marzocchi MZ2 fork.

I doubt the latter is of any interest here but I'll get some pics up of the Shogun shortly, looks like it just needs a half decent set of QR Arayas and a good clean to be ready to go riding alongside the GT (it's even in a more reasonable large frame size of 19" so less need for pipe lagging "nut pad" on the crossbar lol)

Last edited:
I have find a shop with lot of NOS rst that all have the same problem ... they don´t have steer tube 😒

It is a bit big ... the solution could be ... 😅

View attachment 780403

Interesting, does this shop still have the forks & interested in selling a set of 261 (just plain old 261 not "team series" ones, for cheap? The steerer is present on the new toy ("I have a problem" Outpost) but everything else about them is pretty much junk thanks to standing years with weather intrusion through missing caps. Obviously it'd be better to upgrade to some kind of proper fork (or even make good use of the snapped Pali' Trail's rigid fork) but y'know, if they want to earn some good karma I'm always game for keeping stuff as it left the shop floor without breaking the bank.

Interesting, does this shop still have the forks & interested in selling a set of 261 (just plain old 261 not "team series" ones, for cheap? The steerer is present on the new toy ("I have a problem" Outpost) but everything else about them is pretty much junk thanks to standing years with weather intrusion through missing caps. Obviously it'd be better to upgrade to some kind of proper fork (or even make good use of the snapped Pali' Trail's rigid fork) but y'know, if they want to earn some good karma I'm always game for keeping stuff as it left the shop floor without breaking the bank.
Probably yes. They will be cheap but the shop is not UK based, it is in EU

Ah, shipping likely prohibitive then :/ ah well, I could still open these up and see if they're savable. I do like the idea of rigid though. Thanks :)

Back