The Cameras For When Cycling

eric_james

Senior Retro Guru
Hi, I'm looking for a camera to use when cycling 4k quality one. Don't have the money to buy an expensive Gopro one.
Have seen lots of different ones on ebay and amazon but not sure what is good and what isn't
Does anyone on here have any info on this? thanks

Hi lmlach I'm thinking around £80 does that seem reasonable?
So, with action cameras the key is really image stabilisation when riding. Some cheaper cameras can work for activities where you don't end up on bumpy roads where you need stabilisation. But for proper image stabilisation I would say a hero 8 would be a passable 'budget' option. Earlier hero models, used, could be an option too.

The reason why I'm sounding a bit pessimistic is because I don't want you to spend 100 quid or something on a product that is inferior. Cheap cams will not have actual 4k, instead some crappy scaled up shite, and they'll give you severe motion sickness if used on actual off-road terrain. DJI OSMO or Gopro are the only actual contenders for off-road use.

A hero 8 costs me about 220 pounds here, so maybe go for a 7 used which you could probably get for a decent price. A 6 should be a minimum.

Looking around British marketplaces there's plenty of chancers selling the 7 for a goldmine but I reckon you could probably find a used gopro hero 7 at a bargain for about 100 to 120 quid

Last edited:
Thanks for the info I have no idea about the action cameras. I have been on youtube looking for info and help.
There seems to be a lot of these budget cameras about.
Lots of bumps and poor image stabilisation isn't something I had thought about.
On your GoPro how long running time do you get?

Any of the hero's from 7 and up will give you about 1 to 1 and a half hour of pure recording time, turning off GPS etc can help. At 1080p you could possibly get a bit more. A powerbank is crucial if you want to seriously use the cameras.

The problem with the cheap stuff that you mention is that they fake the specs and use up scaling to make it seem like it offers higher resolution than it actually does.

Any decent ish camera can look alright for walking down a bit of woodland, but add a bicycle bumping up and down into the mix and you'll be nauseous

Cool cheers it'll only really be for light off road use
I did however think this Akaso V50 X looked good
It's around £99 on amazon
Sound is rubbish but according to the spec it's got good battery life and comes with 2 batteries

Last edited:
Back