Toddler seats

thom04

Dirt Disciple
Anyone on here had a toddler seat they'd recommend? I've spotted a few different ones that go over the top tube that don't look too awful but don't know where to start. Plus I'm pretty sure all the ones I've seen aren't going to play nicely with the exposed cabling along the frame

WeeRide. Doesn't interfere with cables at all, it sit's on it's own bar which spans between the seatpost and headtube.

I had a CoPilot rear (rack mounted) seat first, which was fine also, but I much prefer the handling of a top-tube mounted seat, especially if you intend on riding away from roads.

WeeRide. Doesn't interfere with cables at all, it sit's on it's own bar which spans between the seatpost and headtube.

I had a CoPilot rear (rack mounted) seat first, which was fine also, but I much prefer the handling of a top-tube mounted seat, especially if you intend on riding away from roads.
Nice one! I'll look in to that now 👍

we had 2 polisport rear seats that were alright if a bit bouncy.

I did also run a shotgun seat on the top tube but found it uncomfortable as it meant a knees out riding style so it never really got used, was also only any good with a pretty upright riding position. the Inbreds top tube wasn't great for it either.

I also tried a trailer, which was interesting and far more suitable for the young ones, but don't ride without the cover down on the front, as they get very annoyed with gravel in their faces. :)

If you're anywhere nr the S10 / S11 area of Sheffield, i've got one of these which you can have for nowt.. somone gave it to me but i never used it.

1711374501492.png

One of my friends who lives in Groningen just has a small seat, with bars and foot pegs for his toddler.. something like this

1711374840373.png

.. but even less minimalist, just a seat on a clamp, bars as above and some pegs which fit over the downtube on his road bike.. he'll do 30-40 road miles with his toddler.. we do like to strap them in.. here in the UK 😁

2 kids gets to be a challenge.
As a rule they don't like being in a trailer much, and you won't like riding uphill much either.
Once they are over 4-5yo, a tag-a-long style thing is good though as it takes their weight off your bike, and they can add a physically insignificant but psychologically helpful but of power.
So this can be combined with the front fitting seat, but @novocaine s points are exactly right.
You wouldn't ride like this if you didn't have to.
As our kids got bigger we used the tandem more.
Tandem, rear child seat, trailer... longer than our car - but gets applause from pedestrians😃

If you're anywhere nr the S10 / S11 area of Sheffield, i've got one of these which you can have for nowt.. somone gave it to me but i never used it.

View attachment 833282

One of my friends who lives in Groningen just has a small seat, with bars and foot pegs for his toddler.. something like this

View attachment 833283

.. but even less minimalist, just a seat on a clamp, bars as above and some pegs which fit over the downtube on his road bike.. he'll do 30-40 road miles with his toddler.. we do like to strap them in.. here in the UK 😁
it was one of those second picture I tried.

Hated it, look at how that kids sat, none of mine sat like that. hit a bump and they were in my crotch. felt like I had rickets with my knees pointing at weird angles and the nose weight, whilst great up steep hills (who am I kidding) meant I had to run my fork harder. neither of my kids were perticularly robust (Still aren't, the skinny runts) but it didn't feel great on a modernish MTB.

I'll try and find a picture.. it was a road bike so horizontal top tube and being dutch he is 6' 4" so there would be a lot more room between seat and stem.

I'll try and find a picture.. it was a road bike so horizontal top tube and being dutch he is 6' 4" so there would be a lot more room between seat and stem.
horses for courses I guess. some people love em by all accounts, just wasn't for me.

Back