Anyone knows anything about this PS brake?

coyut

Mountain Cycle Fan
I know a lot about Mountain Cycle products.
Raced them in the past, was a small distributor for them in Switzerland and collect their products.

I recently got a fully mechanical Pro Stop brake caliper with IS mount.
I have no idea who made them and never seen one before.
My wild guess is that it was designed by Kinsesis when they bought Mountain Cycle in 2001.

Maybe its a prototype that never made it in production? Its pretty massive built.

Anyone got any information on it?

Attachments

• 1000016978.jpg
    1000016978.jpg
    893.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 1000016980.jpg
    1000016980.jpg
    642.7 KB · Views: 23
no clue 😟, just wondering if the name ProStop (even with same capital letters) is the only thing in common with the earlier Mountain Cycle products?

As an expert, do you recall same logo and colors?
prostop mech disc logo.jpg

In general, it reminds me on other cheap no-name mech disc brakes from China.

I would guess it's also pretty heavy?
Just for comparison same piece from an Avid BB7 set, a mech disc I personally like a lot, is just 150g, less than 200g would be still OK, the cheap and low quality Shimano Deore from ~ 2001 was around 300g.

I ll put it on a scale in the next days.
2 things are interesting: It actually is designed for a Pro Stop floating disc and it comes from a guy that sold a lot of Mountain Cycle stuff in the last couple of weeks. He even sold old non public engineering plans.
I got some other stuff from him that was printed on the backside of old Kinesis faxes. But this guy does not really know much about this stuff. He's currently selling a MC Sin, which he faulty labeled as a Shockwave 9.5 until I told him that its not what he offers.
So he probably got this stuff from someone who worked for Kinesis or someone that collected and new someone at Kinesis.
This is what makes me think it could be a product that never made it into production.
I asked Robert Reisinger about it. But got no feedback yet. Also if its a 2001+ Kinesis product he might not know about it.

If I search for the logo nothing comes up.
But I might have seen it 20-25 yeats ago on some package of spare PS brake pads. Seems somehow familiar to me. I need to dig in old magazines. Maybe I can find the logo again.

Thank you, missed the logo. Was looking for it anywhere but in my own doc 🤣
So it really seems to be a legit Mountain Cycle product, from around 97, that might not have made it into production.
Never seen one before.
Would be so cool to find out more information about this brake.

Last edited:
Got some feedback from Robert Reisinger.
For those who don't know him. He was the designer and owner of Mountain Cycle.

Hey Mathias, interesting… I’ve seen these counterfeit, look-alike mechanical brakes over the years, they just steal the Mountain Cycle and pro stop name. Basically they’re junk and I would highly advise anybody in a high demand situation to stay away from any mechanical disc brakes since the pads will wear, and potentially make the brake fail as the cable relationship to the lever arm gets out of adjustment. I’ve seen the number of bad injury crashes on bikes due to the use of mechanical disc brakes for the same reason. Robert.

Back