Toddler seats

One good thing about the "rear" seat was that it tilted, in case the child fancies a kip.

But definitely made my old cannondale's 'stays 'sway' quite a bit when climbing steep hills.

20220429_100427.jpg

Front seats are popular in Flat continental cities with segregated cycle facilities, high handlebars, and low average speeds. cyclists tend to be valued and respected road users too.

In hilly parts of Britain with random kerbs, reckless peds, drivers and potholes aplenty, the problem is that in an impact you'll squash the child, whereas on a rear seat the child has some protection from the plastic and you.

Beggars can't be choosers though, and if you want 2 kids on one bike, then it's fore-aft or a trailer.
The rear seat pictured is a Rhode gear taxi, mounts on a quality rack (Blackburn mt1 iirc)
It's a good seat.

Yepp nexxt maxi (rear) did well here, the rack mount variety meant a slightly lower centre of gravity, and I felt more secure with it there.
Was on up to about 4 yo, after that it’s only for short trips.
Now on a trailer as I’ve two… 4 and 5.5, but they both prefer a follow-me tandem, meaning it’s a competition to see who gets to come out on that so I think I’ll move to a kiddy back tandem and the follow-me for a ‘triplet’ style!!

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If you are in SE London/Kent I have a Trailgator one of those tagalong things that you can have for Karma.

Back