Dremel type rotary tools - what do you use?

Markybeau

Gold Trader
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
My Silverline rotary tool gave up recently. I've had it for about 7 years, and to be honest didn't use it a lot. The quality was OK and it was cheap.

The replacement needs to be of better quality as I have more use for one now. I've read good reviews (discounting the Amazon fakes) for the Sealey E5188, and think this might be a good alternative to a Dremel, without the astronomical price tag.

What do you have, and how much use does it get?

I’ve got this ancient dentist drill type thing.. Made in Maidstone Kent.. tools just clip on the end
1C8E3D2F-DFF6-4E27-A9A6-E49584D6188D.jpeg

..as you can see from the dust, it never gets any use, last time was maybe 12yrs ago 😁

Silverline. Before that some eBay cheaply and before that a lidl one. This covers about 20 years.

When you day you now have a use for one, are you sure it's the right tool for what you want? I've found that outside of model and jewelry making they rarely are the right tool, they just the one I have to hand.

I had a cheap one from a discounter that fell apart with a weak motor. Now I'm proud owner ;) of a Dremel with a battery which is from another world compared to its predecessor. I use it to cut cable outers with a disc, to trim mudguard stays, cleaning filthy parts with a brass brush, polishing, sanding or as a file when cutting steerer tubes, drilling...so I use it quite often. It’s not a mandatory tool but sometimes really handy

If regular use is required might an electric (or pneumatic if you have a suitable compressor) die grinder work? Certainty more power and durability.

Deffo die grinder if you have a compressor.....

Ive also got a set from lidl......which is suprisingly good and cordless. £9.99 with 100 odd bits....

Think they are now £16.99! Parkside or darkside or something.

I have had the same Clarke for a very long time. I have just bought a genuine Dremel cutting disc set that cost as much as the Clarke did 25 odd years ago. The discs look so much better than the eBay cheap things I have been using. Thought I needed to replace the Clarke but a new set of bushes and a new mains cable fitted and off it goes again.
when it does die, I’ll go for a Dremel.

At work we use joke Eneska. Ridiculously expensive for a home set up but if you can get one second hand it will last forever!

Back