Stolen dream bike found 26 years later? Fat Chance (TC)!

Re: Dream Bike Stolen - Found 26 Years Later? Fat Chance (TC)!!!

Stunning paint job Shamus :cool:

great idea with the stars! but personally would have liked to have seen smaller stars and more used in the transition to make them less obvious, thus making it look more like the sponge effect on that other frame, which i really dig.

but of course that would have upped the man hours needed to have smaller but more stars in a denser pattern in the paint, and obviously increase the cost of the paint job. :p

still, t'is an excellent execution of repainting and restoring it back to it's former glory! :cool:

little surprised you didn't have the stem painted while you were at it. :?

Re:

:shock: stunning paint job. I find the contrast with the black stem a little harsh, but that might turn out better when fully build. possible show winning bike for sure.

You guys are funny, and harshing my buzz a little! ;)

Firstly I like a black stem, especially since the bar is painted to match. Also, my plan is to rebuild the bike to its original spec, which yes includes using the funny bulbous first generation Syncros stem. Its just something I want to do, because I can! But after the initial original build, I plan on doing a bigger and better build to my personal preference, a 'dream build' if you will, using parts available in the late 80s. So just let me have my fun. The original build was a bit of a hodge podge of parts from previous bikes, and whatever else 19 year old me could afford back then!

Also, in regards to the size of the stars, they are smaller on the forks and stays, and the difference in the colours is pretty subtle, and as such you don't even see the stars at first glance, unless you are up close. That's how I wanted it, understated yet classic, with a hand-stenciled look as if it had been done back in 1989, and not done using a computer program. Too many small stars wouldn't look authentic, to me. But I hear what you are saying rockimtn: what you are suggesting would also look better with more contrasting colours as well, like the maple leaves on a Rocky Mtn for instance...

Bottom line, I got the paint job I wanted. I wouldn't change a thing.

:shock: also can't believe you have the bare frame resting on rough gravel! :LOL:

not trying to rag on your parade, it's still gorgeous! the bike is yours and most important is it's the exact way you wanted it. just was giving my opinion on how i would have liked to see it if was mine. ;)

Re:

This nails the brief, its AWESOME. Its true to the colours of the period, ref the one in the Marin Museum and pays homage to 'stars' used since ancient times at FAT CITY CYCLES :cool:

Looks so good. Digging the fat stars.

Thing of Beauty, Shamus - really nice conclusion to such a notable tale ! May the story continue in a positive manner, this round ;)

I had some fun today after finishing the re-build (back to original spec). I brought the bike up to the exact spot on the bluff where I took this picture 27 years ago:

1989 Fat Chance Team Comp side view by shamalama88, on Flickr

Here is what the bike looked like a month ago:

16833556_710628405785853_604354205_o by shamalama88, on Flickr

And here we are today on the exact same bluff, same build, nicer paint thanks to Toxik Harald Strasser:

1989 Fat Chance TC original build new paint by shamalama88, on Flickr

Back