1989 Fat Chance Wicked build thread

Yaldie

Specialized Fan
My first build thread, and possibly will be the slowest build thread of all time. If you are easily bored then please bail out now, this one will take some time and that’s largely due to other life priorities, work, kids and wife (all to blame, and not necessarily in that order).

I was after a Fat City Cycles frameset for some time, initially hunting for a Yo Eddie but decent ones are a scarce commodity, so I took the view that I would take what I can get. After a Retrobike Ebay Market place tip off in September 2022: (2) Wicked FAT Chance frame + fork… | Retrobike from @tangent , I took the plunge on this size medium Wicked 1989 listed on Ebay, which I won for £361.77 shipped.

The frameset included the fork and the seatpost clamp. On reflection it was a bit more than what I wanted to pay, but I think I got a bit of a deal on this frameset. I think it could easily have fetched 50% more.

A bit of history regarding the frame, it was owned by another Retrobike group member and there is some history with build threads and sale posts:

Fat Chance Wicked 1989 | Retrobike

(2) Fat Chance Wicked 1989- will sell frame/fork now- sold | Page 3 | Retrobike

Who has owned the frame in the past 10 years, and where its been is a bit of a mystery. Some speculated that it was a lost luggage seller on Ebay and possibly this frameset has been lost in the post. Who knows.

I love the look of the original build, so I am pretty much going to mirror much of what he has done, M730/5 groupset, as many black components as I can get.

The first two issues to tackle are the bottom bracket and get a basic build together. I plan to use as many parts as possible from my “stock” which will mean a mixture of XT and DX to start, with XT parts added over time.

The other issue is the paint work, it looks like it has an S.T.D. The paint work has been touched up, which has either turned red over time or were always red, but it reminds me of what we were all warned about in the 90’s when embarking on lads holidays in the Mediterranean. The frame has a rash, and I need to cure it. My plan is to try to cover up the red touch ups with orange ones.

Step 1:

That bottom bracket. After hunting through Ebay and Retrobike for a bottom bracket to fit the frame and an M735 chainset I concluded that paying ££££ for a used BB went too far against my grain. I instead ordered repro bearings and collars from https://specialtyretroproducts.com/ based in the US. I then had to find a straight BB spindle, which proved even more difficult. There aren’t many on the market, at the length I need and at a reasonable price, I therefore have taken the controversial step to have one made. I trained as a machinist at College (25 years ago) but rather than try to remember how to use a lathe I asked my brother inlaw who still works for the same Company I did all those years ago. The BB spindle is made from high grade Titanium, it hasn’t been heat treated. Before I get an the influx of comments, I know the risk but I am willing to take a punt on it to see if it works.

The bearings took around a month to arrive which they did in January 2023, I had the BB made for me during that time. Now I just needed to acquire a small amount of Loctite and to dig out my cheap made in China bearing press and the build can commence.

Last edited:
Yeah man…that orange is the hot ticket. Tell your brother in law need a titanium chainring set in either 110/74 or 94/58. I’ll let him decide which one he wants to pursue…no rush on delivery! ;)

All black components will look outstanding. Do you have an idea for tires? Year specific or whatever fits best?

I have repro Dart and Smoke tyres in all black, or Michelin Tiarga, which aren’t the best but are tan walls. I don’t really want old used tyres as planning to ride it 15880389-B3A9-4DA7-94C3-784A26A3EC9A.jpeg

Attachments

• A60D3620-CF5B-4C50-9E8B-A6786F360980.jpeg
    A60D3620-CF5B-4C50-9E8B-A6786F360980.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 8
Yeah man…that orange is the hot ticket. Tell your brother in law need a titanium chainring set in either 110/74 or 94/58. I’ll let him decide which one he wants to pursue…no rush on delivery! ;)

All black components will look outstanding. Do you have an idea for tires? Year specific or whatever fits best?
To be fair he is offering his lunch break services out so I will ask him. It would require quite a lot of engineering to make rings, and they would need to be made in batches to be worthwhile

So as long as the sidewalls are keeping the tubes inside then why not? Do you dabble with Color Theory? For your consideration:
IRC Mythos in black/redwall
Or
Michelin Wildgripper Lite S in green/skinwall

To be fair he is offering his lunch break services out so I will ask him. It would require quite a lot of engineering to make rings, and they would need to be made in batches to be worthwhile
I was being ironic 🙃
Sometimes the sarcasm gets lost in translation. BUT! I am sure others here would also be interested in a group buy for ti rings or anything ti for that matter.

So as long as the sidewalls are keeping the tubes inside then why not? Do you dabble with Color Theory? For your consideration:
IRC Mythos in black/redwall
Or
Michelin Wildgripper Lite S in green/skinwall
I like the stealth look, although I do own two sets of crusty nos Mccraw tyres in red and purple

339EBB5F-CF78-4E20-8F0A-5E7BBA15AF40.jpeg

From what i remember all ti chainrings shifted worse than aluminum.
Were they not machined with ramps? All of this is beyond my era. My lust is the longevity and ease to anodize without crazy chemicals.

I like the stealth look, although I do own two sets of crusty nos Mccraw tyres in red and purple

View attachment 729883
What tires?

If you ever decide to part with the crusty purple ones please let me know!

Back