Stem stuck into the frame tip

JoanFontcuberta":3juavvhc said:
mk one":3juavvhc said:
Just hit the stem with a mallet side to side ;)

How can I block the fork, any suggestion? Don't want to bend the fork

street sign post/railings if you have no tools or heavy objects in your place. Just put it between towards the top of the forks for less flex.

Re:

Lots of great suggestions about heat/cold/twisting/hitting (who doesn't love percussive maintenance?) but no one has yet suggested swearing at it. It's worth giving it a go if you've not yet tried it. If you need some, I'm sure that the good folks of Retrobike can suggest a plethora of the finest, vintage, swear words.

Good luck.

I find that a good long stare works brilliantly....at making me feel better. See ‘Chris King’ woes thread. Doesn’t help fix anything though.

As a last resort, chop the stem off. You can then drill it out. It's not fun. I have a Marzocchi steerer like that to do when I feel seriously bored.

Re:

This worked for me a while ago.
1. Turn frame and forks upside down and secure the stem in a vice or work bench between two blocks of wood.
2. Get two long 2x2 wood beams approx 3 to 4 ft long and put these either side of the fork crown. Secure using cable ties or rope. These are your leverage.
3. Each hand either side of the fork crown and spread apart holding on to the wood. Twist until the bond breaks but be careful not to bend the forks. Try and keep the wood on the crown of the forks when twisting in case it slips on to the head tube.

Note. If using a work bench, you may need someone else to hold down the bench or frame.

Re: Re:

Tad":2k9ufh9n said:
Lots of great suggestions about heat/cold/twisting/hitting (who doesn't love percussive maintenance?) but no one has yet suggested swearing at it. It's worth giving it a go if you've not yet tried it. If you need some, I'm sure that the good folks of Retrobike can suggest a plethora of the finest, vintage, swear words.

Good luck.

:LOL: Thats the step you take after injuring yourself

Back