Restoration tips...Mountain Cycle brushed aluminium and anodising cleaning up

PhilJ87

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all. I have tried searching the forum but the link for DIY restoration that was referenced didn't work.

I am in the process of striping down the beautiful Mountain Cycle obtained from @My_Teenage_Self

I want to clean up the aluminium frame but not polish it to a mirror. In the past I have used a brillo pad and WD40 as a solvent. Are there any other suggestions for how to go about this ?

Additionally. What's the best way to remove old decals as the caramel wheel attachments are horrible in my opinion. Is it just a case of careful heat application?

Finally, any suggestions for the anodized forks.. they have some rub and stuff marks so can't restore the anodizing but again, was thinking light brillo pad use?

Attachments

• 20230617_182923.jpg
    20230617_182923.jpg
    686.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230617_182941.jpg
    20230617_182941.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230617_203151.jpg
    20230617_203151.jpg
    599.4 KB · Views: 31
I’ve only done a couple of alu frames and that was to polished finish with a wheel and compound. Done the odd part that wasn’t polished and that was with steel wool or red/green 3m pads depending on how fine a finish I wanted/if it was flat or had contours. The 3m pads look like domestic scouring pads but give a more even result and are good for flat surfaces. I’ve used 3 different grades there may be more.

I’d maybe substitute the Brillo pad for steel wool as that has different grades and is more consistent depending on the finish from coarse up to extra extra fine.

Decals depends on how they were applied, sometimes needs a couple of different methods - heat to remove the top layer then a solvent like acetone or thinners depending on how they were stuck down. Always been trial and error with least destructive/weakest chemical first.

I’ve only done a couple of alu frames and that was to polished finish with a wheel and compound. Done the odd part that wasn’t polished and that was with steel wool or red/green 3m pads depending on how fine a finish I wanted/if it was flat or had contours. The 3m pads look like domestic scouring pads but give a more even result and are good for flat surfaces. I’ve used 3 different grades there may be more.

I’d maybe substitute the Brillo pad for steel wool as that has different grades and is more consistent depending on the finish from coarse up to extra extra fine.

Decals depends on how they were applied, sometimes needs a couple of different methods - heat to remove the top layer then a solvent like acetone or thinners depending on how they were stuck down. Always been trial and error with least destructive/weakest chemical first.
Thanks for this. The steel wool isn't a bad shout actually. I might do a trial area vs the pads and see which gives the best finish.

As you say I think it will end up as a combination of methods.

Will give that a go with the decals on the forks later today. Thank you

Back