Steel is Real!

Re: Hello

Blacktopdisciple":2sz23580 said:
Really lovely bike. Nice gentle clean with soap and water and some crumpled up tin foil with water for the chrome. Black cloth bar tape, try velox, and maybe some new tubs. Then it will be lovely. Drive side pics please.
Drive-side pics next weekend - sorry, and black tape or white tape? What do you mean by 'tubs'? :)

TGR":uruayvcy said:
It should work.

Note the bit above from blacktop!!

Richard
Thanks, will foil and water work as well as metal polish? I've got some that my dad uses for his chrome bumpers, should it work?

Tubs are tubular tyres. Another minor headache will be replacing them.

Richard

Really think carefully about polishing - please!

Re tubs - have a read here -

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=257564

There is a load of useful stuff there. As for buying them - for your bike you should have amber walls - Planet X have some and various other net sellers. Be warned the good ones are quite expensive.

Richard

TGR":qnwh71g8 said:
Tubs are tubular tyres. Another minor headache will be replacing them.

Richard
The tubular tyres on it are quite new I think, also are a Kevlar compound? Love the gum walls though, are these still around?
Thanks for all the nice comments by the way guys :)
Blacktopdisciple":qnwh71g8 said:
Tubular tyres, might need new ones. Black or white tape would look good or red maybe.
Thanks + will probably go for white because that's what's on there at the moment :D

TGR":1rrg66j8 said:
Really think carefully about polishing - please!

Re tubs - have a read here -

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=257564

There is a load of useful stuff there. As for buying them - for your bike you should have amber walls - Planet X have some and various other net sellers. Be warned the good ones are quite expensive.

Richard
Ah thanks, I will consider it, maybe your right and I should just leave it :)

It is your choice but you have a nice bike and you need to be aware of the grip of RB!!! LOL

When you get a min, change the title of the thread to something related to the bike (edit function).

Updates with pics are always handy if you have any probs and I am sure someone will be able to help if you get stuck.

Richard

Be care on the polish you use. Autosol is a common one but it can be a bit harsh on chrome. Tin foil in water cleans chrome up nice and its gentle. You could finish the job with a nice coat of wax polish to protect the shine a bit. You can use autosol on alloy if it is not annodised and again finish off with a wax. If its annodised just use the wax. Dont be too generous with the wax or polish as dried up polish in all the nooks and crannies looks horrible. The tubs will be old I guess so best replace them. You can get basic tubs for around £40 a pair. You can either use tub tape or tub glue to fit them but my bike shop guy says best use glue as its more secure. You are not allowed to use tub tape on bikes used at Manchester or Glasgow velodromes so that might say something about its security. Whats in the roll up tied to the saddle? Old tools and tub I bet?

Back