Steel is Real!

Re: Hello

Ian Raleigh":1zrp9kq7 said:
Could have been a red frame or that be red oxide primer under the black paint.

Nice!
The bikes always been black, so the latter is the most viable i presume.

originalshinkicker":2dunohw2 said:
That's a very nice bike. Don't go overboard on cleaning up the frame too much, it would be a shame to lose the patina on it. That Cinelli stem is lovely, and you don't see too many bikes now with flint catchers!

I would seriously consider something different to cork bar tape - I just don't think that is in keeping with the bike
Would polishing the metal to remove the rust lose the patina? I would definitely do the stem and maybe the wheels depending on how they turn out after a clean as well as the little chrome bits.

You have a difficult choice - retain patina or polish into a shiny thing.

Could you post more pics of any corrosion and the stem please.

And welcome to RB (not sure anyone said that!)

Richard

TGR":nkk67iqk said:
You have a difficult choice - retain patina or polish into a shiny thing.

Could you post more pics of any corrosion and the stem please.

And welcome to RB (not sure anyone said that!)

Richard
Haha thanks, I can get more pics up on the weekend as bike is in shed and I'm away during the week :) but there's not much more to see than what there is in the photo, I think I will polish the stem though because it's gorgeous and I don't think the rust does it justice, would you say I should stick with that cloth bartape?

As per my original thought - a difficult choice.

What are your plans for the bike?

If you are going to ride it regularly, perhaps the Tressorex tape would not be best. I used it years ago and would not be in a rush to use it again. Modern (more modern) tape is easier on the hands.

Decide what you want to do with the bike and then decide how you are going to do it. << seems obvious but it is not that obvious; some options (and there are probably more) -
restore it to 'like new' condition
leave it as it is
ride it on 'good days'
ride it every day
hang it on a wall in a prominent place
gently renovate it to a usable condition
get it all shiny

As i said, you need to be clear what you want to do, this makes decisions much easier. There is always a discussion between patina (which could be a little rust and wear) and full restoration. At the end of the day, the bike is yours and you have the decision. Sometimes not an easy decision.

Re polishing, be warned, once you start it is sometimes hard to stop!

I hope that gives you something to think about, it really is a lovely bike.

Richard

Ah okay, well it's goin to be use on weekend rides in nice weather, I'm just gonna us the MTB for anything else, I think that the slowly renovate idea is probably the best, although at the moment absolutely everything works, thanks though, definitely some food for thought :)

Well,

You said it - everything works!! Why change anything? Tressorex tape would probably work for you then.

Have you some close up pics of the stem? I made the point about polishing as if you polish the stem, then the bars will look bad - so you polish them, then the cranks look a bit bad and you do them, then anything that used to be shiny needs done - brake levers, brakes, mechs, gear levers, hubs. You get the idea?

Richard

Really lovely bike. Nice gentle clean with soap and water and some crumpled up tin foil with water for the chrome. Black cloth bar tape, try velox, and maybe some new tubs. Then it will be lovely. Drive side pics please.

TGR":1rl9xs9f said:
Well,

You said it - everything works!! Why change anything? Tressorex tape would probably work for you then.

Have you some close up pics of the stem? I made the point about polishing as if you polish the stem, then the bars will look bad - so you polish them, then the cranks look a bit bad and you do them, then anything that used to be shiny needs done - brake levers, brakes, mechs, gear levers, hubs. You get the idea?

Richard
That's the only close up pic I have of the stem at the moment, I will get some more next weekend, and I was thinking of polishin the cranks and stuff, I would happily do it bit by bit and get it all shiny and beautiful, quick question - I've got a standard chain breaker for my mtb, will this work on the current chain?

Back