Steel is Real!

torqueless":2yyoe8ut said:
is it comfortable though and would it be really expensive?
Well, back in the sixties that was all there was, so you had to make it comfortable. Mine's as comfy as hell, but I cheated by softening it with olive oil, which soaked into the seat of my pants for about a month and I was most unwelcome to come into contact with peoples sofas and suchlike:
001.JPG

They are silly money these days. Mine was thirty-something quid new, some time in the early 2000's. They come up in the 'for sale' section here sometimes.

Again, check your Grandad doesn't have one lying around unused somewhere? They can be rehabilitated even if they look beyond hope.
Or just use what you've got until something turns up- no damage done.. :)
:LOL: I really like the look of that saddle that ive found, obviously doesn't look as retro as yours but surely it would be an improvement on the other one? I'll ask him but i'm not going to hold my breath.
In regards to the seatpost, what diameter am i likely to need?

No offence, but my personal opinion of the saddle you showed is that it looks like a cartoon version of a Brooks. I don't know if that's fair- I don't know the saddle, but, on a period race bike with this much character, it cries out for a saddle with some character, too, if you see what I mean? Any new saddle will look weird on that bike, probably even a new Brooks.. :|

Seatpost is likely 27.2mm, look for markings on the one in there at the moment to confirm?

torqueless":3pq8ac6c said:
No offence, but my personal opinion of the saddle you showed is that it looks like a cartoon version of a Brooks. I don't know if that's fair- I don't know the saddle, but, on a period race bike with this much character, it cries out for a saddle with some character, too, if you see what I mean? Any new saddle will look weird on that bike, probably even a new Brooks.. :|

Seatpost is likely 27.2mm, look for markings on the one in there at the moment to confirm?
Okay will do + cheers, I didn't realise it was so nice! I'm kind of stuck then, there's no way I can afford a brooks, so I'd need to find an old one on the cheap, I'll guess I'll just have to wait until I find a used one, I liked that other saddle as well though, so I'll make sure to check that it would suit! :LOL:

Right so a few updates.... (sorry its been so long)

No 1 is some new bartape, so i know everyones is going to go "argh look at that bartape" but i was quite proud of it, and you might also say its wayy to modern but by god it is comfy! I wrapped over the existing 'tape' (if you might call it that) and then scraped off the rest from the areas that weren't covered. This took an absolute age to do and was quite frankly a right PITA! It took me a few hours, lots of swearing and bizarrely enough some limescale remover until it was all gone. The bar underneath was a right state, and there was rather alot of rust on it, but i attacked it with varying grades of W+D paper until the rust was gone, the brake leavers got the same treatment. I didnt polish it completely and left it still a little bit messy to be in keeping with the rest of the bike.

No 2 is not really an update as such, just something i want to share...
Basically i found a really old saddle attached to a bike in a skip. It is similar to the Brooks saddles i have seen, with the springs at the back. Its in a bit of a state at the moment but i'm hoping with some more W+D paper on the rails, and olive oil in the leather i'll get it looking a bit nicer. No pics of it yet as its still attached to said bike but i'll post some in a few days.

A812424F-2E4D-4FCE-8398-1C37A2EEC204_zpsx5xyhsjx.jpg

1EA0EA30-7A63-46B7-ADD6-E90DEAE75010_zpsvd6wjzzv.jpg

6B43A49A-F1FC-47C1-B3FF-3F0C63AED681_zpser6qd2jl.jpg

2ECA412E-2B81-481C-807C-A50286F3CB85_zpsxj8czm9d.jpg

Sorry about the bad light in some photos, but its getting dark and my camera is an iPhone :oops:

Back