So, 26", 27.5" and 29".

Re: Re:

mattr":7hgzy8lo said:
JamesM":7hgzy8lo said:
Because up front, assuming you buy the triple, you only get a 40. So 33 gears to choose from and the highest one is only 40:11. 10 Speed XT had a 42:11 and 9 speed had 44:11. I presume the reduction is down to bigger wheels. I didn't say you couldn't ride to the trails but a 40:11 with 26" wheels on the road is a bit low.
Man, you still need to learn how to pedal.

What's wrong with my pedaling??? Round and round init???

I never said you couldnt ride the new XT groupset on the road with 26" wheels. My point was that its clearly not intended for 26" wheel mtbs. My 27 geared XT equiped 26" wheeled bike has a 22:34 which is so low its pretty much of no use and a 44:15, 13, 11 set that work nicely on the road when riding to or between trails. I can cruise comfortably at 18 to 20mph and hit 45mph down hill. But with 10 speed they reduced the big ring to 42 and introduced the 36 on the back and now with 11 speed we have 40 up front and 42 on the back. This is obviously to cater for the larger wheels and 1x or 2x setups. But it seems that it won't work as well as the older set ups for a 26r that you want to ride on the road sometimes. If you buy the triple and the smallest cassette for your 26r then you'll have 33 gears with the lowest being a totally useless 22:40 and the highest being only a 40:11. 33 gears and that's what you get :facepalm:

coomber":2zpwsz0s said:
Hmmm interesting. 29er still outsells everything in USA and they are the no 1 market.

For the whole though 650b will be the main as you say for average sizes and mainstream on that basis. However I cant see there being one wheel size. That would be too easy. 650b has already replaced 26" and people like a choice.

The sheer economies for giant having one wheel size makes sense from a business perspective

was it not the fastest growth market in terms of wheel size at/above certain price points and before the further introduction and confusion of the 27.5...? or am I wrong in thinking this...?

I guess the "smart wheel choice" that the likes of Trek have adopted will help avoid both consumer and retail confusion to a degree, and across all market price points.

but we shall see I guess.

JamesM":190aa5lv said:
I never said you couldnt ride the new XT groupset on the road with 26" wheels. My point was that its clearly not intended for 26" wheel mtbs. :facepalm:

Since 26" has been skipped by virtually everyone I can't imagine Shimano gave that size too much thought.

Re:

The industry has got itself in a mess though hasn't it?
So I think it would be great to go back to having one wheel size again, like the good old days.

And if the rumour spreads that Giant and other brands intend to phase out the 29er, it could seriously damage 29er sales.
Leading to a sort of self fulling prophecy, as people stop buying them, thinking that it could soon be obsolete.

It's especially likely if common opinion starts to agree that 27.5 was in fact the ideal size all along.
Rather than just a marketing gimmick, or a some sort of compromise wheel size.

Ceefax":2dje7nal said:
Also, many experts genuinely believe that 27.5/650b is the ideal size for mountain bikes. Because it offers the best of both 26" and 29", without the disadvantages of either.

I found it the other way round tbh. 650b seemed to be neither as playful as 26" or as crushingly capable as 29". That's not to say I'd rule out ever having one but for now it's all about the 29er for me.

Back