Show us what you did today, thread

Brian (epicycle) made a trip north to come out for a local ride for a few hours.
After yesterdays dismal weather today was pretty frosty early on but was sunny for the most part. There was a stiff breeze picking up and it was coming from the east, which is not the norm up here. Brian arrived at lunch and as had been arranged beforehand, he didn't bring a bike as he wanted to test ride the Big Dummy. The last couple of years when I have been talking of my desire to own one Brian has always been in agreement about the positives of the cargo bike and how it would allow him to carry his large tent when camping, as he has been growing more and more against his small 'coffin tent' as he has come to call it.
Anyway, as Brian only had a couple of hours we worked out a loop out to John O'Groats for coffee and cake and then back to mine. Brian would take the Dummy and I would take the LHT. Sticking to the back singletrack road as much as was possible. I've ridden with Brian long enough to know that he would really like it once he tried it, and I think it was most likely a surprise how 'undifferent' to a normal bike, just a bit longer but with infinite capability for customising to suite whatever purpose or cargo.
With the wind coming from the east it was steady headwind on the way out. We had a few stops and a very pleasant ride just chatting and pushing into the wind. Stopped at Groats for a coffee and some cake and to see what Brian thought. I was laughing as he was hooked and could see the possibilities for it, especially with standard wheels as well as the fat ones. I don't think Sheena will let us swap bikes anymore :)
Brian wanted a picture of the bikes under the famous John O'Groats sign, I said OK, but be quick as someone local might see me :) Anyway we took a picture and then this nice lady comes along and says ' oh, here you go, I will get one of the both of you together' She was very nice so we got our picture taken and neither of us had the heart to say I was local. Though we did joke that in a 30klm stretch we had cycled National Cycle Route #1, The North Sea Cycle Route and if we went from Groats across the hills about 5 miles or so we could do a coast to coast :)
We left Groats with the clouds steadily filling the sky and darkening very quickly as well. We were about halfway back when we looked towards my place and to the east and the sky was very black, rolling clouds and all I could think was 'winters back' , at just this point Brian asked if I thought we might get wet and how many miles to my place :) We had a couple of drops on the handlebar bag and that was all. So pretty lucky as 10 minutes after we got back the rain started and hasn't really stopped since.
A good ride with a different purpose and I think Brian is now sold on the idea of a cargo bike.
Hope everyone else had some decent weather this weekend and managed to get out and Dyna, I hope you got the brakes sorted and got out on the new beast.

Jamie

Coming
DSCN3369 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Going, pretty barren in both directions
DSCN3370 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3372 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3375 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Tourists ;)
DSCN3379 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Thanks Clubby! Something to aspire to I imagine :)
Though that will probably be Caleb and his mates when he's bigger. The day I forget to lock the shed.....

Jamie

Great weather up here today and while it was cold, very cold, the snow from yesterday had gone and the breeze died down with the sun out for the most part.
To be honest the contrast between yesterday morning and this morning when looking out the yard showed how quickly the weather changes up here.
I had planned on getting out and doing a long run this morning but with family stuff needing sorted this morning it wasn't until after lunch I was getting ready to head out for a ride. I need to get a few solid miles in for a Randonnee audax next month and while the Trucker is setup I still had a crazy idea to get the Mercian out the loft and put everything back on for a couple of hours around the coast for comparison purposes ;)
Well I lost a fair bit of time getting it back together and once sorted thought I better put my lights on as time had moved on a bit.
Anyway it was a nice ride with a bit of tweeking of seat and stem. At first I felt like I was sliding down the seat and over the bars, I moved the seat up a notch on the level side. This made it better but it just didn't feel right and I just thought I am getting too old for this head down and bum up style :) It was while leaning so far over the stem that I thought ' I don't remember the stem being that low in the head before' . Obviously when I put it up the loft and loosened the stem to turn the bars sideway and the did it up, it must have dropped, then when I took it out today I just twisted it round and as it was tight I just nipped it up, I didn't re measure the height.
Ended up a nice ride and along the coast and up almost to Dunnet Head before turning to head home before the light went completely. I had my lights but the temp was dropping quicker than the sun and it was only just above 2 degree when I left. Nice sunset though so tried to get a picture but they never really come out how they look in real time.
Hopefully tomorrow I will get out and get a longer run in on the Trucker this time. Depends on a couple of other things but the forecast is looking promising.
Hope everyone else is having a good weekend and hope you get a ride in as well

Jamie

yesterday morning
DSC_1654 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

This morning
DSC_1657 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

This is in a very quite spot not far from home heading towards Dunnet Head, a minute after this a friend came riding round the bend on his mtb, Richard who rides the Puffer and does triathlons etc, we were having a chat and along comes another friend, Adam, who I got the Jack Taylor from, in his VW camper. It was like boys afternoon out :)
DSCN3383 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Clouds and darkness coming in
DSCN3385 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3387 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Sunset with lights on ;)
DSCN3392 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Out this afternoon on the Long Haul Trucker as needed to see about some light setup for an upcoming ride. Also wanted to see how it would fair in audax guise compared to everything else as it's a noticeable weight increase but that is because it's built for fully loaded touring not short haul, lightweight audax. Was out on the Mercian yesterday and thought about taking that but the Trucker might not be as fast, but it works perfectly, fits and is comfortable for long periods.
This comparison stuff sort of went out the window a bit and it became more about getting the legs spinning as my little man Caleb has come down with a chest problem again and was up during the night about three times, so nobody in the house got much sleep and then this morning Heather looked like she was following suite.
So it was a late start for a ride, 1.30pm, which was a bit disappointing to me as originally I had planned to ride south from Melvich down to Helmsdale and do the 106klm with a good amount of climbing to get some miles in the legs, but hey ho, that's life and family always comes first. The lack of sleep and sorting things this morning meant I could very easily have stayed in as it was cloudy and very cold, I think it was about 2 degree when I left and quickly plummeted, this along with a slowly increasing wind from the east made it very cold indeed. In the end I got just over 70klm in four hours doing a much more local loop so not too bad considering the conditions.
I had to wear my skull cap and buff along with a thermal and jersey under my jacket, woolly boolly socks along with my Keelas. So well wrapped up or so I thought. MY route was really to play it by ear now.
About 5klm in I realised I should have worn my overshoes as my feet were cold and by the time I was near Wick (about30klm) they were frozen. I stopped at a little craft shop in the old garage just before Wick and had a hot chocolate and ate a banana. I sat outside at the bench and took my jacket off as I didn't want to warm up inside and just walked about drinking my drink and trying to get some heat into my toes. Didn't notice too much when riding, it was only when I stopped it was bad.
Went through Wick and headed down the A9 a bit before turning towards Thurso and coming out near Watten. Stopped and put my small lights on, more so drivers would notice me, knowing that I would soon have to put the proper lights on so I could see. I ended up turning of the main road onto a back road that I thought I knew, turns out I didn't but it wasn't a problem as it bought me out onto an even smaller road not far from where I thought I was. Stopped at a junction where I would turn across country once again to take all the singletrack farm roads for about 20klms, zigzagging across the way to join back up to the roads near home, I put my lights on and had the last Tea Cake, no choice but to get home soon. Was quickly dark and the roads were clear, no ice so it wasn't too long before I was back.
Once stopped and inside after putting the bike away, took off my shoes and my feet were a weird red colour and so painful arrrrggghhhh! Remember overshoes for next time ;)
Tried not to stop too often today but I did manage a couple of pics.
Hope everyone else managed to get a ride in, I know Rob did and had a similar headwind but I still think sometimes you have one of those rides that just seems hard for no reason that it's still better than no ride at all :)

Jamie

Not long after setting out, my turnaround point is way in the distance in the middle of the pic. Already looking a bit bleak and cold.
DSCN3401 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Still a bit of ice and snow about
DSCN3408 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

A bit of sunshine!
DSCN3411 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Lights on as the sun drops away.
DSCN3414 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3418 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Been trying to do a fat bike ride at Montrose for a couple of years, but with ferocious fast moving tides it needs ideal tide timing to pull off. Today was looking good, so I scouted the route last night on google maps and set off this morning to try my luck. I wanted to ride from the South Esk estuary, the beach to the North Esk and back through the dunes.
Things were looking good as I set off, with the tide well out and the sand having had time to firm up.

Untitled by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

I made good progress up the beach, passing amongst the dog walkers and noticing the amount of sea defence work that had been put in since the last time I was there. I remember (way back) when we were kids, playing in the dunes which at that point were far from the sea at high tide. Now the sections near the beach park is covered in rock moved in to protect them from washing away.
As is usually the case, a couple of hundred meters from the last car park, the dogs and walkers disappeared into the distance and it felt like I was heading into the unknown.

Played around a bit making some tyre art.

Tyre art by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Once past the end of the golf course, the defences stopped and the dunes became more natural. A bit of a shingle bank had formed here, giving some natural protection. The next section passed quickly and I soon reached the North Esk estuary. At the end point I was on a sand bank only visible a couple of hours a day and I initially wondered how easy the crossing would be to take me over and continue up the next beach towards St Cyrus. Despite the river being narrow at low tide, it was fast flowing enough to bring me to my senses.
From here I made slow progress through soft sloppy sand to the far side of the dunes. Only being uncovered an hour or so at a time, it never gets a chance to firm up.
Once away from the river I was fine and enjoyed some nice dune and woodland singletrack back to the car. Despite only being out a hour and a half the tide at the start point had already made my outward route unrideable at some points.

So, no the longest or most exciting ride I've ever done, but exploring new places always makes me glad I made the effort.

Looks like a great ride Clubby and the weather looks like it was on your side as well. It was a nice day up here today and I thought more than once it would be a nice riding day ;)
It's always good to explore new places and the coast there looks to be the same as up here in that, the weather changes can make riding in the same spot on consecutive days very different each time. That shot with the dunes in the back looks like Dunnet beach up here.

Jamie

Latest posts

Back