Show us what you did today, thread

Nice one mate, out of interest what width bars and stem length combo are you using on the fatbike? I'm thinking of swapping out the salsa bend2 bars for standard bars.

Cheers

Re:

Stem is a 90mm 10deg rise and bars are Easton Havoc carbon 750mm that I had on Mojo. Had Salsa bend on originally but prefer shape and width of a riser.
I seem to have settled on 750-750 as my preferred width. Even the 730mm on the Saffron seem a bit narrow in comparison. Would hate to think what the STS feels like now. 580mm with bar ends narrowing that further!

lol aye, I had 750 on the anthem, the intense has got 800mm with a 40mm stem and pretty much feels great now.

i notice it on the single speed with the 685mm eastons on there lol.

clubby":2ufauac2 said:
Been trying to do a fat bike ride at Montrose for a couple of years, but with ferocious fast moving tides it needs ideal tide timing to pull off. Today was looking good, so I scouted the route last night on google maps and set off this morning to try my luck. I wanted to ride from the South Esk estuary, the beach to the North Esk and back through the dunes.
Things were looking good as I set off, with the tide well out and the sand having had time to firm up.

Untitled by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

I made good progress up the beach, passing amongst the dog walkers and noticing the amount of sea defence work that had been put in since the last time I was there. I remember (way back) when we were kids, playing in the dunes which at that point were far from the sea at high tide. Now the sections near the beach park is covered in rock moved in to protect them from washing away.
As is usually the case, a couple of hundred meters from the last car park, the dogs and walkers disappeared into the distance and it felt like I was heading into the unknown.

Played around a bit making some tyre art.

Tyre art by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Once past the end of the golf course, the defences stopped and the dunes became more natural. A bit of a shingle bank had formed here, giving some natural protection. The next section passed quickly and I soon reached the North Esk estuary. At the end point I was on a sand bank only visible a couple of hours a day and I initially wondered how easy the crossing would be to take me over and continue up the next beach towards St Cyrus. Despite the river being narrow at low tide, it was fast flowing enough to bring me to my senses.
From here I made slow progress through soft sloppy sand to the far side of the dunes. Only being uncovered an hour or so at a time, it never gets a chance to firm up.
Once away from the river I was fine and enjoyed some nice dune and woodland singletrack back to the car. Despite only being out a hour and a half the tide at the start point had already made my outward route unrideable at some points.

So, no the longest or most exciting ride I've ever done, but exploring new places always makes me glad I made the effort.
Nice to read something completely different. Love the first arty pic. One for the wall,

keithyr":xl0ft3c8 said:
lol aye, I had 750 on the anthem, the intense has got 800mm with a 40mm stem and pretty much feels great now.

800 is fukcing ridiculous :facepalm:

RobMac":1ujkd0gl said:
keithyr":1ujkd0gl said:

800 is fukcing ridiculous :facepalm:

Not for our resident tamed Sasquatch it's not :LOL:

Up until recently most bikes came with the same bars regardless of frame size, which is just plain wrong. No way someone Jamie's height should be running the same width bars as Keith. Some brands are changing, varying bar width with frame size.

Didn't realise they were 800 till I measured them. I always thought that width was mental wide like the Fifer ET said, but they feel spot on. 685 on the singlespeeed feel away narrow lol

Jamiedyer":1st3v3z5 said:
No way someone Jamie's height should be running the same width bars as Keith

Mine are specced in the Barbie section at Toys R Us ;)

Jamie

Not picking on you, but what bar width do you run? It is amazing that what was once perfectly normal, now feels so narrow. I do think we've about reached the max though, I certainly wouldn't feel comfy going any wider than 760mm. My Ducati didn't have bars that wide!

Back