Show us what you did today, thread

Re:

Not up on retro road stuff, so never heard of that maker before. Looks like the frame came up nice though, all things considered. For me, I'd just protect the paint from further corrosion and keep the finish as it is. Not a fan of full re-sprays on old bikes unless it's absolutely necessary. Definitely deserves better parts than the exage 500 lx that's on it. Glad to hear you dodged a bullet with the seatpost. My mate bought an '88 Giant and spent a month fighting the seatpost. Took a blowtorch, caustic soda, hack saw and finally had to be cut and hammered down to the bb shell, as there was no way of getting it up and out. Thankfully it was a decent sized frame and he can still fit a new post.

Re:

Exage 500LX might not look as nice as some but it's perfectly functional and will still work perfectly well. Exage 300 is ok too. If I were Jamie I'd ditch the shifters for some downtube or bar end shifters and keep the rest of the bits and pieces.
It's always nice to turn up something unexpected

Freezing cold, but dry and bright day, so headed out for a quick (time wise not speed!) jaunt on the fat bike. Remnants of Saturday's snow was still crisp and the puddles and mud had frozen solid. Glad I was on the flat pedals as needed a few emergency dabs on some of the bigger ice patches. Fat tyres still slide, but at least due to their size you have more time to save it or ride it out. Would probably been on my arse a couple of times on a normal mtb.

Fast frost by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Fast frost by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

That looks like a nice day Clubby, not too bad up here today but not the nice light and snow remnants you have.

Jamie

Re:

Been building the new bike today, would've had it done last weekend if Shimano hadn't decided to change the size of their bottom bracket cups necessitating a new tool to be bought (didn't get the little plastic adapter that's meant to come with the BB) :roll:
I've gone for full colour coordinated tartiness with the bottle cages :LOL:

Further updates and better pic's to follow.

Attachments

• P1020049.jpg
    P1020049.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 234
Re:

Mmmm minty fresh. Looks good Col. Would like to see an after shot the first time you take it along the canal :)

Re: Re:

clubby":2p62mp64 said:
Mmmm minty fresh. Looks good Col. Would like to see an after shot the first time you take it along the canal :)
It'll look even mintier when I get the bar tape on. I'm trying to get it finished tonight so I can take it out tomorrow, It'll be getting full length mudguards fitted to keep the dug sh!te from the canal path off the paintwork as much as possible though :LOL:

Looking very good Col :)
I must admit I preferred the Belgium Blue but seeing this in a real setting it looks far better than the website suggests. It's a smart build for sure.
Bloody bottom brackets, I feel your pain as there is always something with them. I thought I would pull out the one that is in the Jack Taylor, looked like an old school Shimano cartridge style, grabbed my tools only to find out it's an early 80's FAG, which needs it's own tool. I think it's the same as a Campagnolo style but I don't have that either being a good Shimano boy :) At least they are under a tenner but I am only going to use it once so may see if someone on here has one they can lend me.
Hopefully you will have it all sorted for the morning and get a good ride in.
I am really looking forward to see what you think.

Jamie

Re:

There's always something that doesn't quite fit or doesn't go to plan when building bikes it seems. It's coming together now but brake cables are going to be a problem, bought a Jagwire set but it's clearly designed for caliper brakes as there's not enough outer and the front inner isn't long enough for the disc brakes (haven't checked the rear inner but have my suspicions it won't be long enough either :facepalm: ). A trip to Halfords in the morning might be in order.
First impressions of the bike are good however the fork dropouts needed filing a fair bit to fit the front wheel and the disc brake post mounts were covered in paint. No problem as I have a tap and die set but would've been a right pain if I didn't.

Attachments

• P1020051.jpg
    P1020051.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 214
Back