Scratching That Polishing Itch..1992 Orange Aluminium Elite

Peachy!":2zjyngtv said:
Top work, man after my own heart... btw (not that it matters now) but as Gil uses a quality permanent adhesive, his decals work very well with wet application. Gives you bags of time and the chance to move the graphics about... and I promise it’s a lot less scary than ‘going in dry’

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=405760&start=60

That's great Peachy, thanks for that. I wasn't sure tbh as I've always 'gone in dry' lol. Now that you mention it though, I recollect seeing other posts using wet application before now. Will have to give it go on the next one as it makes perfect sense and makes life a lot easier. :LOL:

Re: Re:

prezza":3nwwbxdx said:
Looking awesome mate!!!!!
I must crack on with mine soon as like you did, I’ve hit a bit of a lull at the eat ...sleep...polish... repeat phase!

What finishing polish did you use? Looks mint!!!!

Andy

Andy I feel your pain but the end results are so worth it.... I know this will never be a pristine mint steed (it does show signs of a few battle scars) but it has been transformed from what it wa slike when I first got hold of it.

I'm quite a fan of White Diamond products (not to be confused with Diamond White the beverage :LOL: ) and have had really good success with the standard metal polish they do which has a pleasant vanilla scent and built in sealant. They also do their 'High Shine' finishing polish.... this is the one I've used and is a new one for me to try and I'm very impressed. It takes what you've got and gives it a deeper higher shine if you know what I mean plus it also has a built in sealant too and smells of cherry. Dead easy to use, apply, let dry and buff off... just a bit of time and elbow grease is all that's needed :)

That looks amazing! I love shiny and polished but tbh I just don't have the patience to produce the mirror shine. Fantastic job and, after polishing a few small bits to not as good as your standard I can appreciate the work that goes into this level of finish!

Top job and I'd love to see the rest of the build as it progresses.

Teggers":3cnh8v8m said:
That looks amazing! I love shiny and polished but tbh I just don't have the patience to produce the mirror shine. Fantastic job and, after polishing a few small bits to not as good as your standard I can appreciate the work that goes into this level of finish!

Top job and I'd love to see the rest of the build as it progresses.

Thanks Teggers, appreciate your kind comments :) There should be plenty of shiny and polished bits to keep you happy as things progress I'm sure :cool: ;)

Re: RC-35 K Stripdown, Polish & Overhaul Completed.....

Thought I'd update everyone on some good progress on the fork front. This has been dragging on for a while with just doing bits n bobs when time has allowed but they've turned out really well and should look great on the Elite ... :)

An old set I've had lying around for years that were on my Zaskar where screaming out for some love and given a total refresh and makeover with the only hurdle being in need of a 1 1/4" crown and steerer.

Again I apologise in advance.... a bit pic heavy :LOL:
iOptpBcl.jpg

iBldY34l.jpg

sJykPAXl.jpg

JXs5wKVl.jpg

EaXMNU6l.jpg

uOFEXGel.jpg

uaTSoKXl.jpg

All the aluminium bits on the leg lowers and brackets have been sanded/smoothed of machine marks and polished up with new decals (courtesy of Gil @retrodecals) fitted.

Eventually sourced a 1 1/4" crown and steerer and made the decision to remove the anodizing due to scratches and marks and wanted a nice polished ali finish to go with the frame as opposed to the pale gold it originally had...
8Y6jJUil.jpg

Went over with a couple of grades of very fine wet and dry to help prep and get the finish I was after then a good polish..... :)
E9Fh5ARl.jpg

CC9eQfCl.jpg

FiZ1CA9l.jpg

8V3Kpdyl.jpg

BnKAt9Bl.jpg

In terms of servicing I had ordered new a elastomer kit, wipe seals, bearing tapes and grease. I'm also going for a subtle blue bolt theme for the build so ordered a titanium bolt kit for that little extra touch and put a little sprinkling about on the fork...
sxWcIodl.jpg

atR3l6ql.jpg

All assembled, bolts copper greased and stanchions thread locked at the crown..... :)
1ZJB533l.jpg

xi3c5qYl.jpg

lFZCfcDl.jpg

XQtAkX8l.jpg

gUYoTUTl.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

This thread is definitely my cup of tea.....

Those forks are looking very nice now, great job, quite inspirational.

rwm1962":2wts1pkd said:
Those bolts set it off nicely, especially as they match the wiper seals.
Blue was the only colour I could go for in the end due to stock availability of certain sizes but yes, they match the wiper seals :LOL:

Peachy!":2wts1pkd said:
This thread is definitely my cup of tea.....
Thanks Peachy, I'm rather partial to a good brew myself.... :LOL: Just need to crack on with working some magic on a tired Ali Stalk stem which has seen better days but isn't quite for the bin yet....

mk one":2wts1pkd said:
Those forks are looking very nice now, great job, quite inspirational.
Cheers mk one, mad to think I've nearly binned them before now on a few occasions.... glad I kept them now :cool: Only have another 2 sets to do in the future :LOL:

Back