Scratching That Polishing Itch..1992 Orange Aluminium Elite

Seca Blue":86x16kon said:
Do you mind me asking how you're doing it?

Paint stripper to attack the lacquer (£5 from screwfix), wet and dry various grades from 400-2000 grit, final wipe down with IPA ready for polishing. Finish off with non abrasive metal polish (I use one with a built in sealant) and buff off with a mop on the end of a drill :)

Re: Shiny, shiny...... :)

Well all the stripping and rubbing down has finally come to fruition... A lot of work and hours spent but it's now ready for decals.... A quick prep wipe down with IPA and attacking it with lots of metal polish (took a good couple of goes) and a final buff with a buffing mop and voila..... :cool:
Sorry, a little pic heavy.... :LOL:

U4fNi03l.jpg

alrYfMYl.jpg

nSrOivCl.jpg

Br2GjM9l.jpg

zf67wtal.jpg

AZPMotal.jpg

FQ1dj0Ql.jpg

PaKmvycl.jpg

e3BBCQFl.jpg

Decals next....... :)

Very well done, proper job... what final polish are you using? MAAS?

Peachy!":20zwxd31 said:

White Diamond.... Have been meaning to try MAAS as my current bottle of WD has nearly run out but has lasted over 3 years... It's very popular in the motor trade and to be fair, I have always been happy with the end results so I've ordered another bottle for now :LOL:

abr303":28r179gn said:
Peachy!":28r179gn said:

White Diamond.... Have been meaning to try MAAS as my current bottle of WD has nearly run out but has lasted over 3 years... It's very popular in the motor trade and to be fair, I have always been happy with the end results so I've ordered another bottle for now :LOL:

MAAS has the bonus of smelling of lavender.... it means I can get away with polishing in the house!

Re:

That’s an outstanding result!
You’re defo ahead of me on this Elite resto race! Haha

I normally use Autosol then polish with autoglym but am thinking of trying MAAS if you think it may seal even better?

Great work and as I’m sat having my first brew of the day it’s sparing me on to revisit mine again this aftey! :D

It’s nice to see that the hours you’ve put in have resulted in a finish that Captain Phasma would be proud of!

Re: Re:

prezza":3pwa5w3b said:
I normally use Autosol then polish with autoglym but am thinking of trying MAAS if you think it may seal even better?

Check pg6 of my Lotus thread, that was April ‘19 when I last finished them with MAAS, they look exactly the same now.

Back