san andreas question...

summerwastin

Retro Newbie
hello people,

i've got a san andreas mountain cycle which i am trying to build up. the swing arm is a new (old stock) replacement from america and the front end and seat tower from a guy here in the uk. It is the last version of the frame, made by Kinesis, 2003ish? with removable shock mounts.

i need some help in finding out which bearings to use for the main swing arm. and also where i can get some washers made that go between the swing arm and the main body. my swing does not have a pinch bolt, unlike most of the frames i've seen on the internet, so i think i need press fit bearings. any san andreas owners know the code on their main pivot bearings? niche question, i know....

i 'll post some pictures up on a new build thread soon.

it promises to be an interesting build, i am using a short 165mm shock with offset bushings to get the bb height as low as possible, and considering a slackset too. trying to bring it back the present day, wanna be down with the kids. planning it as a play bike with 140mm front / 120mm rear, sub 13" bb and as slack as possible head angle (67 degrees?). dunno....

many thanks....

Can you post up some pictures of what you have and do you own a set of vernier calipers?

My build thread is located here:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=285917

Bottom bracket is gonna be a fair bit higher than yours!
Interested to know how the offset bushes work out, where are you getting them from?
There's a polish guy on ebay that sells them for a reasonable price, just got a custom sized standard set delivered from him and the seem to be good. Cost ~£20 posted for the pair.

There are also two mountain cycle groups on Facebook that are probably worth joining and asking your questions on as there seem to be some knowledgeable guys on there(including the original designer of the San Andreas), they're called "mountain cycle fanclub" and "club mountain cycle".

thanks for your replies. i finally got around to taking some pics ...

so the information i need to get this together now is:

1. seal bearing size / code for the main pivot? (there is no pinch bolt on the swing arm)
2. dimensions of washer that go between swing arm and the main frame on the main pivot?

Dan Jones (through the MC facebook group measured his spare washers and emailed me a pic, included below) which is great, but i will need to get them made, as the step washer is quite specific. so i am holding off getting them done until i know the matching bearings unit.

I'm guessing there is more than one combination of washer and bearings that will work with this frame?

(here's hoping the pics work, if not - i'll upload to flickr in a bit.)

thanks for your help / interest ...

Attachments

• SA MC 1.jpg
    SA MC 1.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 295
  • SA MC 2.jpg
    SA MC 2.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 295
  • SA MC 3.jpg
    SA MC 3.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 295
  • SA MC 4.jpg
    SA MC 4.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 295
  • SA MC 5.jpg
    SA MC 5.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 295
  • SA MC 6.jpg
    SA MC 6.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 295
  • SA MC 7.jpg
    SA MC 7.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 295
  • SA MC 8.jpg
    SA MC 8.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 295
here's the washer diagram. does it look familar to anyone? know which bearings would fit with it?

Attachments

• 1958396_10152672427389852_1957879142_n-1.jpg
    1958396_10152672427389852_1957879142_n-1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 281
Back