Saddle renovation/restoration. Should I take it further?

Should Peachy offer saddle restoration to a wider audience?

• Total voters
The Flites look great.
Vote for Flites from me too- nice job. An observation:

1.1990s Black Ti Flite saddle in avg condition = £35-£45.
2.1990s White Ti Flite Saddle in avg condition = £75- £100
3.1990s Perforated White or complimentary bike colour Ti flite saddle in as new condition = >£150?
Not sure how easy it is to turn 1 or 2 into 3.....?!

Vote for Flites from me too- nice job. An observation:

1.1990s Black Ti Flite saddle in avg condition = £35-£45.
2.1990s White Ti Flite Saddle in avg condition = £75- £100
3.1990s Perforated White or complimentary bike colour Ti flite saddle in as new condition = >£150?
Not sure how easy it is to turn 1 or 2 into 3.....?!
I'd say not easy at all.
I certainly couldn't do it and make it work financially.

It seems to me that you'd need to:

a) be able to cut out your own leather covering including perforations using a pattern
b) print and transfer any graphics
c) apply new cover to the saddle frame

There would be some set up - but a) could be accomplished pretty easily (and repeatedly cheaply) using a computer driver laser cutter. I could also see how you might do b) with a vinyl printer/cutter to produce a template, apply it and then spray paint it to do the lettering. A community fab lab would likely have access to both of these.

It seems to me that you'd need to:

a) be able to cut out your own leather covering including perforations using a pattern
b) print and transfer any graphics
c) apply new cover to the saddle frame

There would be some set up - but a) could be accomplished pretty easily (and repeatedly cheaply) using a computer driver laser cutter. I could also see how you might do b) with a vinyl printer/cutter to produce a template, apply it and then spray paint it to do the lettering. A community fab lab would likely have access to both of these.
More importantly you’d need to be arsed.

I get a certain amount of joy from breathing life into old dogs, manufacturing fake flites isn’t for me.

More importantly you’d need to be arsed.

I get a certain amount of joy from breathing life into old dogs, manufacturing fake flites isn’t for me.

Yeah, I can understand that. I see value in customising a favourite saddle for someone (eg new colour) - but were I in the business of doing this, I'd probably draw the line at introducing perforations to a currently unperforated one.

It's probably akin to producing vinyl sticker frame kits v frame modifications to make something appear like it isn't.

Been mucking about with a 1988 Marin for @philberforce
It had a rather nasty deep cut that needed attention even before I tackled the skin!
Also I thought I’d do a very short video to show these repairs aren’t just cosmetic! 😁
Although I can’t seem to attach it!🤦‍♂️
Usual before & afters;
95FF5095-13A0-462D-B84C-2444258176EB.jpeg 969864BF-8878-4E6F-BD31-AA53CD13C4ED.jpeg A70E274C-9827-48B7-8B1B-6F94E9FD7234.jpeg 8944C798-A7A0-49B6-A899-97C394BB824B.jpeg

Last edited:
Back