Saddle renovation/restoration. Should I take it further?

Should Peachy offer saddle restoration to a wider audience?

• Total voters

Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
Over the past few years I’ve had some fun developing saddle restoration ideas, born from not wanting to pay California prices for NOS/NIB saddles but still wanting something “Show presentable” and or still rideable.
Happy customers during this time (off the top of my head - sorry if I’ve forgotten/missed someone)
Include @Hotwheels. @Joe*Pro @Repacker @Once A Hero
Now up till now I’ve been quite happy doing this for the pleasure with a mates rates charge which tbh normally works out at below minimum wage as an hourly rate, which is not a problem if I’m doing it for the brotherhood, like I said I genuinely get a kick out bringing a Flite or a Pro-long back to life.
But… if I was to take the next step an offer a service via the many Facebook groups and maybe make a dedicated FB page I’d need to up the charge to make it worth my time.
So the question is do you think there’s a market out there?
For a price example a typical refurb includes;
1. clean of the plastic under side
2. Prep/re-spray rails black + lacquer
3. Re-glue skin to underside
4. Glue & fill cuts & splits
5. Deep clean leather surface
6. Re-dye leather (multiple coats sanding to 800 between coats)
7. Detail/freshen up text with leather dye
8. Multiple coats of flexible leather lacquer
9. Dress underside plastic

I normally charge around the £30 mark depending on how bad the saddle is and will only advise on the suitably of the saddle being fit for riding or “show only” once I’ve inspected the saddle first hand.
If I was doing this on a bigger scale I’d need to at least double this to £60 or even £80.
I’m wondering if this is starting to get into the replacement budget ballpark?

B04E7311-9DB0-4806-8D5D-80195304D8D0.jpeg C8248819-B5FF-4FF6-A213-A02191FF7F5F.jpeg 94AA2200-7ABB-4AF8-91C5-005A521FB9D5.jpeg 0229CCFE-D819-4E66-A3AD-43C1A1296C02.jpeg EA7AB4C3-CF25-4F2B-B6AC-75F25641750D.jpeg DF738E54-DCA2-4E2F-AF89-99B3D801EA8B.jpeg AE6A8630-D732-4786-8144-99DCE0BBA05F.jpeg 86458C90-B496-4D68-A4A7-357C5D16AFB4.jpeg 9070D455-BAED-470F-B766-2EB5A29AC00A.jpeg 760A31E4-C2C0-4389-B691-2836D16CB8DA.jpeg

Your work is beautiful and you should be paid for it properly.

It is easy enough to test the market for real. Create the FB page, and start promoting it. Nothing lost except a few hours of time if nothing comes of it.

Personally, if really wanting to make a go of it, I would consider if there are other similar markets and offer a range of (p)leather restoration services eg for jackets, motorcycle saddles, horse saddles, trainers etc. Even researching those might give an idea on how to price your services as well as pitch them.

Of what I've seen you've got a knack with saddles....give it a whirl I'd say 👍
I saw two flites you did for someone recently and to my eye they looked as new.
Nowt to lose!
Contact points...period and brand correct saddles,grips and pedals when it comes to restoration standards will only get harder and harder to source....the puddle will only dry up as it were!

NOS or good condition consumables are limited irrespective of price, it’s the 1-3 year wait to find them as well, not just the cost variance in paying for refurb with tatty version. So those who might want a more speedy resolution would pay the extra, like we did.

A grey Specialized perforated prolong on manganese rails in poor condition went this morning for £55 which is similar to some of my old ones pre refurb. The last NOS I saw was a couple of years ago in California and was circa £120. +imports. for Ti perforated.

I think £50 still adds up for refurbishing one. Maybe a discount for 2 or same colour. And a ‘founders’ discount for us of course 😂

Hadn't thought about getting my other saddles refurbed...better get in quick before you go public!

I'd say there's now harm in offering your services, you've got a good back catalogue of before and afters to demonstrate your abilities, so it's just about finding where to pitch your pricing.

Last edited:
Guess you can do a ‘part refurb’ price & ‘full refurb’ price, then it’s all about the upselling 🙈

Or just selling the magic liquid mix or kit and help hundreds happen at zero elbow grease to you.

I’d prob would have paid similar for the ‘kit’ and tried the work myself.

Guess you can do a ‘part refurb’ price & ‘full refurb’ price, then it’s all about the upselling 🙈

Or just selling the magic liquid mix or kit and help hundreds happen at zero elbow grease to you.

I’d prob would have paid similar for the ‘kit’ and tried the work myself.
That info’s been in the sticky thread for a while now;

That info’s been in the sticky thread for a while now;
Suppose I mean smaller packs with enough for just 1-2 saddles with everything ready. Save me buying bigger bottles of it all separately and maybe getting the wrong brands.

Back