"JMC" Grey Prolong 'S' Ti saddle restoration/renovation

Silly question, but it's only the rails that are ti so possible to swap these over onto the base that the skin came from?
Thought of that years ago, but there are lots of different ProLong types and base shapes, so whilst Ti rails is a key part particularly for the ride quality, it still doesn’t make it a period correct Ti saddle as such.

I thought they needed to have dimples, or is that something else?
Do you mean the perforated leather versions with all the holes in ? …that’s just a different ‘ventilated’ version, I assumed for those in hotter climates or with sweatier backsides !! 🍑

Last edited:
Do you mean the perforated leather versions with all the holes in ? …that’s just a different ‘ventilated’ version for those in hotter climates or with sweatier backsides !! 🍑
But which is the correct version for a JMC replica, does it depend on the picture used?

Based on the catalogue specs, perforated saddles were only around in 1993 and 1994. And it seems the grey perforated editions were 1994 only. As ever the reality may vary, I have seen pics of a seemingly original 1992 SJ Comp with a black perforated saddle, and various 93 SJ FS's with solid black saddles, both despite what was listed in the book.

Based on the catalogue specs, perforated saddles were only around in 1993 and 1994. And it seems the grey perforated editions were 1994 only. As ever the reality may vary, I have seen pics of a seemingly original 1992 SJ Comp with a black perforated saddle, and various 93 SJ FS's with solid black saddles, both despite what was listed in the book.
Good knowledge.

And I think catalogue specs usually release mid year or late summer to get the Xmas market, so may well have been acquired during the later part of the year prior whilst being specked as the following year. Whilst don’t know if frame serial numbers also followed that trend.

We don’t have a 1994 Specialized S-works catalogue in the archives off memory, just the regular catalogue. Although you can see the TEAM bikes a bit in the opening photos of the following year’s catalogue.

Back