Saddle renovation/restoration. Should I take it further?

Should Peachy offer saddle restoration to a wider audience?

• Total voters
I say, if you like doing it, and are already doing it. and it's a decent amount of money for the work involved, offer it up to the wider audience. It's not like there's any harm, other than the obligatory snide "you could buy a new saddle for that" comments you're bound to get.

As long as people know that you make no promises, and what they get is the best you can do, I think go for it.

I think those who need this kind of service will use it. As those on here who did already have been!

Also, if you make enough in the first year, invest it in a second oven! I reckon you could easily add tire refurb to the list of services too!

Oh, and then there's your polishing skills. Get those added to the menu!

You'd be surprised what those of us who are busier/lazier/more afraid of the wife will spend our money on.

And I say all this as someone not likely to use your services! I like tatty saddles and prefer to buy a new tire. I like polishing things myself, too.

But I still think you do an excellent job with this kind of stuff and I reckon it wouldn't be a bad retirement gig!

I'd think a decent tatty saddle much cost £20 + £10 product + £20 labour = £50 sounds about right!!

I would use you services but live in Yorkshire!

I really like the Flites, they do look nice. I am going to say no, don't do it, with this explanation: only if you yourself get satisfaction from doing the work, will it be worthwhile, I think.

Remember £10 is minimum living wage. Think I’d be looking for a bit more than that for one of Englands finest retro bike craftsman.

Glad you mentioned that - if he wanted he could turn his hand at anything. A - Z restorations etc.

For me, the issue is more "Do you want your hobby to become a job" - paid sufficiently or not is a different matter. I get that we all want to make this hobby try and pay for itself. We would be foolish if we didn't.

It's about 15 years ago I stocked up and went stupid on buying practically my only preferred bum perch - San Marco Rolls Titanio. Bought everything from poor condition for beater bikes to stupid expensive NOS. There was a re-issue of this saddle which calmed the market price somewhat, but they are not the same as the originals from mid-90s. Zoom on today - I just might have one of the few NOS left, and three more in mint low mile conditions. I've ridden the beater ones, took care of them for several years and re-sold them for more the price I paid.

I would guess this service only applies to sought after discontinued high end saddles with no re-issue - I can't see the market being that big, but I can understand it really could be a viable interesting solution to some Retrobike enthusiasts as the Ebay prices are just stupid right now.

I'd think a decent tatty saddle much cost £20 + £10 product + £20 labour = £50 sounds about right!!

I would use you services but live in Yorkshire!
So just like me you don’t like paying for owt 🤣

I think there are a fair few members on here who could start pretty profitable side hustles on repair and refurb work for those of us who are far less skilled, just based on the current ridiculous eBay prices alone!

Set of nice Cooks you're looking for? Well, I have them right here for a measly $1,000.

I'd rather pay Mick to knock some off on his lathe and take the crack/crash risk!

Reactions: Woz
I got a fabriccovered saddle of a 1991 Marin Palisades i can have for free to refurb and sell ..been meaning to do it myself but i recon you'd do it 200% better...plus i know longer have the bike.

Materials a bit slack and could do with a refurb and logo somehow re-transfered.

I got a fabriccovered saddle of a 1991 Marin Palisades i can have for free to refurb and sell ..been meaning to do it myself but i recon you'd do it 200% better...plus i know longer have the bike.

Materials a bit slack and could do with a refurb and logo somehow re-transfered.
Send me a pm

Back