1990 Look KG96

Liking those lock rings on the tops of the bars make a neat job for the cables but can you get them if you had STI shifters so you have gear cables aswell ❓🤔

Liking those lock rings on the tops of the bars make a neat job for the cables but can you get them if you had STI shifters so you have gear cables aswell ❓🤔
They’re an old thing from way back in the early 90’s, distributed by Cinetica (famed for carbon bars and adjustable carbon stems). I can’t see why you couldn’t make them using a decent 3D printer as they’re really simple in design. Older STI units wouldn’t be an issue because their gear cable was outside of the bars, but newer ones would need adapting or a redesign.

Reactions: Nob
Now then, there’s a story here…

IMG_5357.jpeg

Far left is the original BB that came with my other 7400 groupset, which I swapped out for a Royce Titanium. It needed a better axle as this one had some nasty bearing wear on one side of it, plus I was tuning components on that build to lighten it.

Late night eBay hunting purchased the replacement BB as finding a bare axle wasn’t going to be as easy. This is in immaculate condition, and has been sat in a box for years. All excited about my build progress, I decided to fit this BB last week, but couldn’t understand why the threads wouldn’t start in the BB shell. On closer look, my fear became reality, and I realised that I’d bought an Italian threaded BB all those years ago ffs.

Now, at this point I’m full of energy trying to get this bike completed, so another BB search commences in an effort to find a British threaded one that not knackered (not as easy or cheap as you’d expect). I found decent one and struck a deal for way more than I wanted to pay, but I felt like I was over a barrel, so the third BB enters the story.

The very next Davy, I spotted a single 68mm axle for sale on eBay at a really good price, hence the immediate purchase and last BB in the picture. Annoying really, as that axle was all I needed in the first place, but like buses…

Also, I’ll be getting the chance to use my genuine Shimano BB tools for the first time in decades - literally, decades!

IMG_5359.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, things just came together all of a sudden last night, and although it’s not quite 100% finished, it is fully operational. This of course means it’s time for the long awaited test ride!

By the way, the brake calipers are a bugger to set up as they have to be so perfectly aligned. I’d forgotten how much of a pain they are - when they’re the pre tension adjuster screw which allows fine tuning.

The chainset was originally a 42/52 which ain’t much fun on the hills anymore, so I found a genuine 39T chainring in Italy of all places. It was also missing the Dura Ace crank caps, which I picked up on eBay as the final piece. I could easily polish up the cranks in a day, but they’d stand out too much from the rest, so they stay as they are. The bottom bracket went together easily enough, and is as smooth as any I’ve felt. I was really impressed with both the BB and the headset on this groupset.

Pedals had to be Look Carbo Pro in Red, just like the original spec. I’ve a few pairs of these pedals, and they’re really durable; the axles are still as smooth as when new.

IMG_5403.jpeg

So, to the test ride (just a 20 miler with some very basic tools).

IMG_5406.jpeg

IMG_5404.jpeg

Initially I was nervous, and spending more time with my head down looking at the bike rather than the road ahead, but gradually I began to trust the bike, and gain faith in my skills at putting it all together. Within 10 mins of riding I was starting to appreciate it all, rather than critique every aspect of it for potential failings!

First thing I noticed is how smooth it is on the road, like really, really smooth. The thing seems to feel very much like a high end steel bike, but unexplainably more compliant and almost dampened. There were no creaks, no rattles, and almost no movement when stamping on the pedals. It’s fast too, plus really confidence inspiring when out of the saddle or on the drops. Whilst mentioning the saddle it’s worth acknowledging how comfortable it is. Although I never used a Rolls back in the day, I can now understand why so many did. I was always a San Marco Regal guy.
The grouspset performed faultlessly throughout the ride, and the only murmur of something needing adjustment was maybe the rear axle needs servicing some time soon. I could detect a little bit of play at the end of the ride. I take the responsibility for that because I never properly inspected it before building it up.
The tyre choice was a compromise from the start of the project, as I would have liked something more period, but anything the same age as this bike is thin on the ground, and when they are available, their width makes them a handful at 19/20mm. The 25’s were a welcome addition in that they offer more grip and comfort, without much of a visual distraction. They overhang the MA40 profile slightly (when looking down on them), but don’t distort or give way in a hard corner. I found that I started pushing it more aggressively into corners as the ride progressed, just seeing if I could keep my hands off the brakes and test those tyres. They didn’t give any sign they were near their limit, and I was very impressed.

I will some bottle cages for it next, and then I can start exploring rides further afield. I’m just not sure which bottle cages to go for. I think TA Specialities are probably the most likely choice, although I’d prefer alloy versions rather than steel ones I keep seeing. I’ve a couple of really nice early Elite cages, but they’re committed to the next build (an unusual bluey grey colour that matches up perfectly with the frame prohibits their transfer).

Most satisfying thing about the ride was watching the sun catch all the carbon tubes and bring them to life!! They glow gold in the sun, and just look awesome. 🤩

Last edited:
I’ve a few of those cages, but reserve them for the Titanium frames really. I tried one and it looked out of place.

Back