Retro bikes with a new school twist,

detomaso":t6dfhg2v said:
Is this dangerous water? I'm not saying I'm just asking ;)
Some on the forum find these bikes greatly distasteful, others pretend that such bikes do not exist. It's a funny thing though as I have some nice full retro bikes in my little collection, yet at retro meets i'm asked more about my 'Hot-Rod' alpinestars than any other bike. One retrobiker described the retro/modern mix as 'the pandora's box of retrobike', think he summed it up well.

about to open pandoras box...............again lol,and will probobly keep doing so,i blame awkward kid for making me do it with the pace,non pace forks...........feck yeh!!!

detomaso":3ip2izgn said:
surely its just a case of personal opinion, i love the retro ride's but i belive if a products improved through R&D then why stick with something that dont work just because it fits in with the look. As said i would love a retro ride at some point but as i only allow myself 1 bike at a time i will stick with my oldschool ride with a new school twist.

There does appear to be a fine line for what is seen as acceptable by some and unacceptable by others but I'm not really part of that, but are you saying that parts that are proven to work are acceptable rather than modern ones that don't improve anything?

What I'm getting at is the Frankenbike thing is great but...oh god...I see...Pandoras box...a whole new world of contradictions...

Developing nicely :D

I suppose you could look at it in that if it isnt exactly the way its shown in the original manufacturers catalogue then it aint right.With even the smallest aftermarket add on rendering it mongrel
But who didnt add or upgrade :?

dyna-ti":3g2pc39g said:
But who didnt add or upgrade :?

Haha, well quite but upgrade in period I suppose would be the arguement, that's what's driven a good proportion of the people on the site, me included.

But what if you went the other way and put older bits on a newer bike, I've 'upgraded' the shifters on my 1998 Marin to DX thumbies...

I Thought that this may ruffle some feathers, but i also understand that im on a retro forum thats why i put this topic in the gd room!

Surely its always going to boil down to personal opinion, theres never going to be a right and wrong answer!

1 of the issus i come across is my riding now dosent lend its self to old school parts for example i would love to go retro cantis but the forks im running dont have any brake bosses so disk really r my only option

sinnett177":3io4zs86 said:
detomaso":3io4zs86 said:
Some on the forum find these bikes greatly distasteful, others pretend that such bikes do not exist. It's a funny thing though as I have some nice full retro bikes in my little collection, yet at retro meets i'm asked more about my 'Hot-Rod' alpinestars than any other bike. One retrobiker described the retro/modern mix as 'the pandora's box of retrobike', think he summed it up well.

:LOL: nicely put. Personally I prefer your Raleigh or 'original' alpinestars to the hot rod, interesting a concept as it is.

Back