rBoTM RBotM December 2023 - OPEN Month - all welcome - Enter Now!!!!

road Bike of The Month
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Welcome to RBotM December 2023 Open Month
That means all are welcome, with the only exclusion each month being if the bike has won a RBotM Competition previously. Other than that as long as it's retro, it's in. Racing, touring, randonneur, frame hanging in the shed, it's all good.

So in the roll up to Christmas and with the frozen roads giving plenty of time at home, dig out a photo or two of your favourite bike and brief description and bang! You're entered! Simple really.
Don't know why more don't do it really ;)

Jamie
Memories of warmer, dryer weather
Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Perhaps a 1936 or 37 BSA (J starts the dropout number). Possible Gold Medal model as it has a flip flop hub and the bars match the catalogue image. It’s possibly a model number 746 DP. looks like the wrong chainring and stem. The stem should not have a jam wedge. New BSA decals are not the same as the original. Old re spray, newer not original plastic mudguards. The mudguards are black, replacing the original white cellulose ones. Original Dunlop rust free lightweight steel rims. Twenty six x 1 inch tires. The celluloId covered bars are still good, no peeling or rust. No rust and in very good shape for its age. Nice survivor, whatever it is, from the club bike hay day. IMG_3838.jpeg

Last edited:
1939 Claud Butler Super Arrow. I found her hanging from the ceiling of a guys workshop who was selling it but had no idea what it was, nor did I.
I got it back home and wet the very faded paintwork and the Claud Butler down tube logo came through but nothing else. I got a lot of help in dating her from the serial number and then looked through the 1939 catalogue for the model, I think I am right in identifying it as The Super Arrow,
Not many origional components but sympathetic and it is very rideable, I've done more miles on her than any other of my old bikes.
I still look out for components for her at Cycle Jumbles that would be more of her age but very happy with the way she is.

Attachments

• 61444393_10157219330658399_5027168282625441792_o.jpg
    61444393_10157219330658399_5027168282625441792_o.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1551.JPG
    IMG_1551.JPG
    733 KB · Views: 58
  • Claud Buter As bought.jpg
    Claud Buter As bought.jpg
    573.6 KB · Views: 58
1939 Claud Butler Super Arrow. I found her hanging from the ceiling of a guys workshop who was selling it but had no idea what it was, nor did I.
I got it back home and wet the very faded paintwork and the Claud Butler down tube logo came through but nothing else. I got a lot of help in dating her from the serial number and then looked through the 1939 catalogue for the model, I think I am right in identifying it as The Super Arrow,
Not many origional components but sympathetic and it is very rideable, I've done more miles on her than any other of my old bikes.
I still look out for components for her at Cycle Jumbles that would be more of her age but very happy with the way she is.
Wow, who have thought it would come back to life that nice. Great bicycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back