rBoTM RBotm December 2023 - Open Month - POLL NOW UP - VOTE NOW!!!!

road Bike of The Month

RBotM December 2023

• Nabeaquam - 1936 BSA Gold Medal

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Psimpson - 1939 Claud Butler Super Arrow

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • 3wheeler7 - 1930's Selbach

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Foreigner - 1930's EF Russ

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Jesper - 1930's Automoto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ullswater - 1970's Manufrance Randonneur

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Congrats @Nabeaquam - truly lovely bike, well deserved.

@Jamiedyer how can we increase participation in voting, should there be a separate category under Road to promote it better, 22 votes seems low to me considering audience available?
Or could there be a themed month perhaps - December seemed to be one of those anyhow with mostly 1930s entries? Like 'prewar' or 'fixed/single speed' or 'swinging 60s' etc?
And in Jan we could also have overall winner of the year chosen from 12 monthly winners?

Just thinking loudly....or have these ideas been thrown in already and dismissed? Sorry as not been on here not that long 🙄
Road biking is probably as unpopular in the uk as in the states. There, however, will always be vintage road bike enthusiasts, but certainly a minority, in my opinion. While there isn’t a lot of participation the entries are high quality and stunning. So much so that I want to put my babies in the dumpster. People in the uk seem to restore to a higher standard than I generally do. I really enjoy viewing them as they feed my road bike fetish. I think the important thing is to keep the contest going, even if there are so few entries that you have to roll them over to a second month. It’s important, in my opinion, to see what people have and what they have done. Thanks Jamie, it’s gotta be a labor of love, not many volunteers in the younger set now a days.

Chose the correct one but it was a really tough choice for me & surprised by such a big win but black & gold is always a good color scheme 👍
I’ve got blastomycosis pneumonia, probably two more months before I shake it. I posted my recovery here on Bike Wrenches Inn so I must have won on the sympathy vote. I didn’t vote for my BSA as there were several nicer ones. They all had some non original parts, but stuff wears out, so that’s forgivable. Even with the sympathy vote I’m surprised and honored. Thanks all for appreciating my old club bike. This is a high honor as the voters are experts.

Many congratulations to Nabeaquam on a fantastic win. Deservedly so even amongst such strong competition.
Very well done sir!

And as Nob says, black and gold is always a good start.
Foreigner, we do have themed months, every second month we try to have a theme and a 1930’s one hasn’t been done for a while, but due to this great month we are best saving it until later in the year.
You also mentioned ‘ And in Jan we could also have overall winner of the year chosen from 12 monthly winners?‘ that is what I tend to do each year and now that Decembers Poll has concluded I will get sorted for RBotY 2023 comprising each months winners from 2023.
As for what might seem low numbers of votes considering the members that are active in the road bike section, it is low but we come back to the same question of low entry numbers. The entries and votes come from generally the same core supporters. I have in the past encouraged other sections to vote but to be honest it doesn’t make any real difference, especially when we can’t get increase from our own road section. There are several takes on this discussion as was shown when discussing this a few years back with some not wanting to be involved as it’s not formal enough or concourse enough and some thinking their bike is just a rider and so not thinking it is worthy or not, these types of things amongst others, so not always a case of people not being aware it’s happening.
Always open to ideas so keep them coming

Jamie

Last edited:
That BSA is a very deserved winning bike without a doubt, and I went for the Selbach which I thought might be close or even win given its worthiness; not to mention the other great entries.

Regarding voting, I always tell a couple US guys to check the entries and support the contest by voting whether they entered or not. I know at least one voted.

I live in a vintage bike riding "desert"; my car mechanic knows more about classic bikes than a shop I visit. I went to the bike shop yesterday for a QR skewer on my '81 Colnago and you'd have thought I was riding the Pope's gold plated one with the remarks I got. I think they forgot what cones, cups, etc. are, and one guy thought my freewheel was a cassette/freehub set-up. Zero "eroica" type rides in my area, and getting be zero knowledge too. They'd rather sell a new bike than service a good old one. Selling a $500 single speed coaster brake beach cruiser with cheap parts on it is their priority now, and of course the dreaded (to me) e-bike craze over here.

Well done @Nabeaquam !!!!

I was very very torn between the BSA and Selbach. The BSA clinched it for me with some nice accessories even though I generally prefer stripped down cleaner svelte looking bikes. A fantastic month and like said early, the quality right up there. :cool:🥰

Latest posts

Back