Pro-Flex XP-X rebuild - worth starting?

The paint looks fine on yours to me, i wouldn't go stripping and re-painting, to me that's a last resort. I have touched up in places but i like to keep the paint original if i can. The Girvins come up regularly on ebay if you wanted to go that route but i can't help you with springs as i bought mine pretty much as it is. I would have thought it was easy and cheap enough though, if you spend some time searching on this forum you'll find a thread where someone has done it before. I know you can still get elastomers but i'm sure you'd be happier with springs.

Re:

Cheers, plenty of reading there.
Just picked up a Raleigh Kalahari for bits, got a reasonable condition LX groupset on it which'll do to get it running and give me time to look for the right kit

What are the implications with running cant brake levers on V brakes?

Re: Re:

mtbnut":xh3ac5dq said:
What are the implications with running cant brake levers on V brakes?

Canti levers don't pull enough cable through for V brakes to work properly, basically you'll have really crap/spongey brakes

If you went the other way it would work (V-brake levers + Canti brakes)

sorry !

Re:

That'd be right, thanks :D
Ah well, don't anyone bid on XT thumbies, I need some

Cleaned the forks up, looks like there's a few bits missing?
Are these worth trying to get running?

I'm also struggling to identify them - they look like a '97 XC, but have a press-in crown like the C and SL
http://www.mombat.org/97RockShox5.jpg

Whatever should be in this hole's missing

The donor;

I think the works xp-x was one of the last alu frames proflex made , unlike the frames before there is no though hole welded in in the seat post tube for a cable run !

It's the '96 BMW/Proflex world cup frame with improvements. royboy is right, no hole through seat post tube for canti brakes. essentially a '97 856 frame. Mine has Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes, SRT600 gripshift and Vector 11 forks.

Thought as much. The headtube reinforcement rings and gussets are major improvements over the earlier frames.

Back