Pace RC100

Re:

I saw a courier RC100 back in the mid nineties in London. Completely covered in black cloth tape to disguise it and still totally unmistakable. Could still see a flash of yellow at the bottom of the fork blades. Don't recall the back brake though...

Re:

Top tube cable guides arrived from the USA is about 3-4days from order :shock:
Magura mounts from Germany at 1month and counting... :x

Re:

Looking good so far! I know that waiting for delayed parts is a pain, but in the scale of things this RC100 is moving on way quicker than most. Scoring the stem was a massive bonus on top of the other hard to find stuff :D

I'm intrigued to know if there's any solutions regarding the caliper drilled rear end, which don't involve cutting out and replacing the whole section? I was thinking that you could maybe plug the gap with a solid rod of material and maybe weld in place either end, before filing smooth?

It will be interesting to see what the experts think...

Re: Re:

mynchiboy":1gzudvk3 said:
I was thinking that you could maybe plug the gap with a solid rod of material and maybe weld in place either end, before filing smooth?

That is essentially what Argos have offered to do - but bonded in rather than welded. Just waiting for others to come back to me with other suggestions.

Once A Hero":2cc836ws said:
Can anybody recommend someone capable of fixing the below drill holes?
I've been in touch with Argos cycles and they are unable to weld ali - so would propose to insert a bar, and fill as necessary. Whilst this may well be a suitable fix, I thought I'd see if anybody has any other recommendations.

Great Progress so Far! - It's cleaned up really well. Glad the chain guide device came in useful :D

The question I'd ask is does it need the repair? - the paint looks very original and it would be a shame to undo this Patina (even in a small area) if you were going to have it welded.
If it's going to be for show, does the hole not add to the history of the frame? - would the Magura cable loop from L to R not disguise it a bit?
If however you're intending to give it a bit more abuse (like your avatar ;) ) - perhaps the repair would be more necessary. I'd be cautious of riding a 30 Yr old Aluminium frame too hard though... This link here from Videojetman shows what can happen to an RC100 :cry: :cry: :cry:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=225072

boy"O"boy

boy"O"boy":xfcnxwyz said:
The question I'd ask is does it need the repair? - the paint looks very original and it would be a shame to undo this Patina (even in a small area) if you were going to have it welded.
If it's going to be for show, does the hole not add to the history of the frame? - would the Magura cable loop from L to R not disguise it a bit?
If however you're intending to give it a bit more abuse (like your avatar ;) ) - perhaps the repair would be more necessary. I'd be cautious of riding a 30 Yr old Aluminium frame too hard though... This link here from Videojetman shows what can happen to an RC100 :cry: :cry: :cry:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=225072
boy"O"boy

This is becoming a valid point as you are the second person to suggest 'not fixing it'.
Maybe I should mount a rear reflector there! :LOL: ;)
A suitable champagne coloured bolt might look intentional though, so I'll see what I've got...

boswell":6827stdd said:
I wouldn’t repair it, keep it’s original finish with all its lovely patina

Sadly using maguras, which can flex the toughest seat stays with the smallest lever pull, will only lead to that wafer thin strip of metal on the seatstay brace cracking. That repair is not cosmetic, it’s essential if that bike ever has a brake pulled in anger. Otherwise just fill with JB weld, touch up and sticker over! I found some Peugeot touch up paint in Halfords that does the job nicely

Re:

I would either leave it or just fill it and get a new decal made up.

I also wouldn't ride it in anger, it's had its day really as demonstrated in the link above, especially not on those ancient tyres! Where did you dig them up from?!

Back