1999 Kona Stinky Dee Lux Resto

Stretch79

Retro Guru
Finally! Got my hands on an 18" frame for a restauration job. It will take a little while as I'm in no rush to source parts etc.

This was my first f/s bike, it originally had Hope Big Un hubs, disc brakes and, usual various bits including a leopard print saddle (don't judge). I worked in a bike shop and got this as soon as they were released to the UK.

Then found cars and girls and decided to sell it to another enthusiast.

So here we are 24 years later and fancied a project.

Going to get the frames welds and tube checked for cracks and fatigue, any issues will then get this repaired, although it all appears ok to the eye. Will then send off to get re-sprayed back to it's former glory in the same paint scheme. Managed to source some decals too which I am happy about, awaiting them as we speak.

Will get the rocker arms powder coated unless I can find some new ones that fit. Bearings are new but need new nuts and bolts, possibly some bushes too.

Trying to source some Marzocchi Junior T's but proving difficult, the rest will be made up of new parts, wanted to keep the main parts as original. Old stuff is a pita to source especially when you're out of the loop.

Need to get the rear shock serviced and checked, possibly a stiffer spring as I'm 19 odd stone.

But, here we are, loved this bike so going to try and do it some justice.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• kona 1.jpg
    kona 1.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 15
Hey, I had the rasta Stinky Dee Lux back in the mid 2000's. I got it from a fellow who received it as a warranty replacement and didn't want it any more. I really liked that bike - just wish I could have afforded a stable platform rear shock and a decent fork. I have what I think is a regular Stinky frame in the rafters that was given to me by a friend. I may build it up this year.

I've got the Jnr T but not the stinky deluxe, fancy swapping...... ahhh bugger that won't work, how about you just let me have the frame. :)

That looks in spanking good nick for it's age, I'd be tempted to just build it as is, but that's just me.

good luck with it. one of my bucket list frames way back when and would still be happy with one today.

Hey, I had the rasta Stinky Dee Lux back in the mid 2000's. I got it from a fellow who received it as a warranty replacement and didn't want it any more. I really liked that bike - just wish I could have afforded a stable platform rear shock and a decent fork. I have what I think is a regular Stinky frame in the rafters that was given to me by a friend. I may build it up this year.
I remember the Rasta one too, there was one not long ago on Ebay in good condition. Do it, if I remember rightly these were great fun bikes and riding was a pleasure. Now have two Kona's lol! Yeah was in the same boat when young, but being holder have more money to throw at it..

Attachments

• Kona 2.jpg
    Kona 2.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 5
I've got the Jnr T but not the stinky deluxe, fancy swapping...... ahhh bugger that won't work, how about you just let me have the frame. :)

That looks in spanking good nick for it's age, I'd be tempted to just build it as is, but that's just me.

good luck with it. one of my bucket list frames way back when and would still be happy with one today.
Maybe a time share on the whole thing? lol I get it but want to take my time and have some pleasure sort of thing. Appreciated, may need to find out where you live and pinch them

I remember the Rasta one too, there was one not long ago on Ebay in good condition. Do it, if I remember rightly these were great fun bikes and riding was a pleasure. Now have two Kona's lol! Yeah was in the same boat when young, but being holder have more money to throw at it..
Then I'll have two Kona's as well ;)

Back