Orange Prestige - Finished pics on page 7

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":2wm5vumy said:
Nice work. I've seen people recommend equestrian saddle care products but those are too caustic or hardcore on vintage bike saddles.

I have a really good cobbler down the road from me, I did take it to him but his suggesting was to take the cover off, dye it and then refit. Costing around £20. I'm sure he would have achieved a great finish but wasn't prepared to pay that much.

I did a similar job on this Turbo for my Merlin this morning with brown shoe polish, it came up lovely and the saddle only cost me under £12.50 posted from eBay! Looked pretty old and worn before. Love cheap fixes :)

Re: Another new project - Orange Prestige

You may remember the stem looked terrible, with rust and alsorts over the lovely chrome work. Well she now looks a lot nicer and ready to live again:

Happy with today's progress, lots of cleaning and polishing done.

Today I realised the decals I had bought have black lettering so no good :( Sure this should have orange decals anyway so I'll be contacting Gil soon.

Awaiting delivery of some nicer XT lookalike pedals and a tan wall front tyre, still on the hunt for one nice silver canti as I don't think I'll find a matching one for the Campagnolo.

A really nice condition XT M735 derailleur arrived yesterday to replace the more modern one my friend added when he lost a jockey wheel (cheaper way to sort but hey).

The Dia-Compe levers will be taken apart and the main bodies stripped of paint and re painted.

Whilst the coats of black paint on the brake lever bodies have been drying, and as it isn't raining today for once, I took the opportunity to clean the wheels. Still waiting for a front tyre and both sets of bearings will be cleaned, checked and re greased:

Minifreak":o8mibrph said:
It has plenty of patina when you look properly but the idea is to keep it as original as possible. I recently bought a decal set for it but bought one with black lettering very stupidly :facepalm: when I get the correct Orange ones I reckon she's going to look great.

Are you spraying your frame yourself? Keep up the good work.

For me the paint was too far gone, rust spots all over so for what it cost I thought I would do a home renovation, got some spare cans of Upol and matt black so what the hell... learning curve or success, lets see over time.

I think your prestige has come up great, mine will be a slow burner but you seem to be cracking on :)

enjoy

retrobikeguy":to0h6fec said:
Minifreak":to0h6fec said:
It has plenty of patina when you look properly but the idea is to keep it as original as possible. I recently bought a decal set for it but bought one with black lettering very stupidly :facepalm: when I get the correct Orange ones I reckon she's going to look great.

Are you spraying your frame yourself? Keep up the good work.

For me the paint was too far gone, rust spots all over so for what it cost I thought I would do a home renovation, got some spare cans of Upol and matt black so what the hell... learning curve or success, lets see over time.

I think your prestige has come up great, mine will be a slow burner but you seem to be cracking on :)

enjoy

Look forward to seeing your paint job :) I may strip the driveside chainstay and re paint just to neaten it up. Repainted the brake lever bodies today and they have come out nicely, pics to follow.

Brake levers now restored, chuffed with how they came out :)

Decal set arrived today, still need to get the correct arrange tubing decal if anyone knows what it was?

I've settled on a NOS Shimano XT M737 front brake for now, slightly newer spec than the rest but they are a good looking brake, just not the Campagnolo I'm after ;)

Re:

Awesome – you've gone for the '93 style decals.

What did you use to strip the Dia Compes and which paint?

groovyblueshed":1ygxgvrn said:
Awesome – you've gone for the '93 style decals.

What did you use to strip the Dia Compes and which paint?

My mate believes it was a 93, certainly remember him having these style on it previously, should decither the frame number.

I used nitromers to remove the paint and wire wool to rough them up, Hammerite smooth black topcoats x 3 on top of grey primer.

Back