OMG Stolen Bike Turns up on Gumtree

Re:

This is where the story gets interesting...... :?

The lock used was a Roxter Cable Lock, similar to the one pictured

61g3ieY-NUL._SL1001_.jpg

The bike was attached to a Sheffield Cycle Stand

tss-001_1.jpg

And the bike was in a manned car park with security cameras, the cameras were not on the bikes and nothing was seen.... :xmas-cool:

Re:

No disrespect, but using a lock of that calibre is literally no real security. Glad you got your bike back though, but if you want to keep it, invest in a better lock.

Re:

When i worked in the bike trade, i used to demonstrate to customers how easilly i could cut through a lock like that with just a small pair of brake cable cutters. It would usually take less than 60 seconds, you dont even need bolt croppers for a lock like that.

It would actually take longer to steal your bike if you tied it up with a few zip ties :LOL:

Aye, you can go through one of those locks in a moment, while looking on cctv like you're just unlocking it with the keys.

Re:

Great result. I need to get one of those UV marker pens. Do they come off after a few muddy rides or do they last?

Re:

No disrespect, but using a lock of that calibre is literally no real security. Glad you got your bike back though, but if you want to keep it, invest in a better lock.

Agreed. Whilst no lock is completely thief proof, if you have one that is better than those on other bicycles around yours, especially if they are newer, shinier ones, thieves will go for the easier more appealing targets.

For pootling around town and shopping, where I might need to leave my bicycle locked up and unattended for a while, I have a very ordinary looking old Kona Fire Mountain and I use a very good lock, such that when I leave it in town it's often the least appealing bicycle with the best lock amongst those in the rack: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Kryptonite-New ... _15257.htm

The only downside is that the lock weighs a hefty 2.8 kilos. :shock:

Re:

xerxes":w3bibkoc said:
The only downside is that the lock weighs a hefty 2.8 kilos. :shock:

Same for me, I use a standard kryptonite D-lock just for pootling to the shops on a knackered old Peugeot. Heavy and cumbersome but pretty safe.

Latest posts

Back