Not a '70's Moser, But Now a Dead One

Re: Not a '70's Moser

I forgot it came with a Cobra bottle cage in nasty red. So de-anodised and polished it up best I could, the aluminium is really poor quality. Looks OK from arms length. I gave the plastic a quick rub over with 2000 grit and polished that too.

One thing not do when de-anodising is to be impatient and take it out of the oven cleaner early. Any bits of remaining anodising are a pain to sand off, unless you go course grit, much better leave it in for the extra 10 minutes.

Attachments

• Bottle-Cage-f.jpg
    Bottle-Cage-f.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 404

True, the alloy was a bit susdpect but the Cobra bottle cage was sought after back in the 70's because it weighed almost nothing. Everyone knew the black ones were even lighter :)

Shaun

Yeah, at least they're period correct. It looks fine from the distance you normally see it, just not great close up. Keeping it red would have made it faster :LOL:

Trying to decide on tyres, always a bit of a headache.

Looking at 28c'ish. For retro looks the Challenge Paris Roubaix, 27mm (but sound like they run wide), look good but are, apparently, puncture prone. Like the sound of the Vittoria Open Pave 27mm (more like a 26mm in real life) but they're modern looking as are the Conti 4000s ii 28c's (apparently run narrow too).

If the Challenges were more resistant then they'd be the easy choice but think probably the Open Pave in all black, unless the green stripe version is going cheap.

My brother's put his name in the hat for L'Eroica, if he gets a place he'll use the Moser as he will if he rides L'Eroica Britannia.

Just bought a pair of NOS Campag hoods, one of the Modolos on it split, and NOS Alfredo Binda straps for a good prices, certainly wasn't paying £65+ for straps. Keeping my eye on some 14-28 freewheels.

All in all it's a breeze compared to my mountain bike builds.

If I was going 25 I think they would be my top choice, basically an old style Vittoria still made in Italy not Thailand, but we want to try something a bit bigger. Liked the look of the Challenge Paris Roubaix but too many bad stories about them, blowouts as well as punctures.

Whereabouts are you in Kent Marc? I'm in Whitstable. Loving your polishing skills, I have done the same with a very heavily scarred Super Record post and also considering stripping the anodizing from my cranks.
MB

Not far from you, somewhere between you and Dover.

Thanks, I was expecting to have to strip and polish everything but the condition saved a load of work. As you know it's not exactly rocket science just takes time. Polished SR cranks do look good.

My brother's just been over and thinks it would be a shame to lose the finish on the frame so we're having a think about what to do. He's pretty sure that the top tube damage isn't from a crash and was pleased it didn't look as bad in person.

Had a hard time deciding on tyres. I wanted something around 28c and Vittorio Pave (27mm) seemed the best bet but, although everyone seems to like their performance, the looks just didn’t do it for me. Then I came across Clement Strada LGG's. LGG being the airport code for Liege.

They're Clements in name only as they were bought out by Pirelli in the 80's who gave up on bike tyres in the 90's and now someone's taken up their name.

I've bought the black and tan wall ones, they look retro but are only 60tpi per layer whereas the black ones are also available in 120tpi per layer. Shame it's not offered in both. The tan wall ones have slightly different, more retro looking graphics.

Price was pretty good £22.39 each, the 120tpi's add a couple of £. Will have to see how they ride but all the reviews seem positive.

Oh, they also do a tub version for the masochists.

http://clementcycling.com/strada-lgg-road

Back