Not a '70's Moser, But Now a Dead One

Re: '70's Moser

I've scrapped back the touch up, wasn't hard as there was no primer. Looks like top tube damage has been bodged as the brazing isn't even flat with the rest of the tubing. It's only on the one side.

I'll open a dispute, even if it's safe which I'm not sure, it wasn't mentioned despite asking about dents and other damage, he just said paint.

Oh the saddle is an Iscaselle Targa, underside is gold, mainly gold plastic. Can't say remember that model. Not that it matters at the moment.

Attachments

• frame-damage.jpg
    frame-damage.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 354

I've chatted with the seller. The frame was basically better than free considering the parts anyway, and now he's agreed to a big part refund too which will pay for the repair and then some. Might be that the repair just needs a tidy rather than a tube replacement which would be a win.

Anyway it will also be getting a new paint job, obviously, need to decide if it's worth getting the top tube re-chromed and restoring the original or not.

So a pain but could have been worse.

Despite the frame not going to be ready any time soon I couldn't resist polishing something.

The pedals had been taken off and boxed and there's not a whole lot to them so they were first. It didn't take long, quick'ish rub with a couple of fine grades of wet and dry and couple of grades of polish, just Peek and Goddards. No point in touching up the cage edges.

Will give them a final buff up when the Britemax Final Shine arrives, it's meant to polish and seal.

Attachments

• Pedals-After-f.jpg
    Pedals-After-f.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 344
  • Pedals-Before-f.jpg
    Pedals-Before-f.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 344
Re:

very nice, you cant beat a good polish! sounds also like the seller is a decent person, maybe you can think about finishes now, maybe expose only the forks and head and seat tube lugs with chrome, my bottecchia has that its lovely

You can't, was looking forward to the polishing, have plenty of time to do it now. Going by the condition of the components it's like it had its mishap early in life and has been left until recently. Almost seems a shame to polish some of the parts, but still will.

Well he is and isn't. One one hand he obviously knew about it, on the other he agreed to the part refund, and the amount I asked for, without making a fuss.

I'm talking paint through with my brother. Think keeping at least the chrome chain stay/dropouts and forks makes sense.

I'd imagine the chrome on the head tube lug will be trashed once the top tube is sorted, putting it back is £85 at Bob jackson, who we'll probably be using. It's quite pricey for not much chrome but you only do it once, hopefully, so it's an option.

He likes the overall look of this
http://cdn0.lostateminor.com/wp-content ... cles-4.jpg

and this

http://www.feathercycles.com/staging/wp ... T-0202.jpg

Do you think the top tube is just a dent that's been filled? I'd go for flamboyant red paint and keep as much chrome as possible, great parts on the bike, pedals have come up lovely.

It could be a dent, but because there's still some of the chrome on the other side it's bumpy, so hard to work out if the bumps are the just the remaining chrome or the tube. Who ever I send it to will know, I've never crushed a frame or bought one so am no expert.

The pic makes it look more agricultural than it is.

Red would be a good option, in keeping with the current colour and polished usually looks better against a darker frame. The more I look at it the more I think repaint what was painted, so chrome would be seat stays excluding bridge and the chain stays. No need for any re-chroming and no chance of miscommunication then.

Trying to do something with "fairing" behind the saddle at the moment. It's a Tornado Targa, not just Targa. It's had a load of tape plastered on to it for no obvious reason, not sure I can save the decals but the chrome finish should survive.

Re: Not a '70's Moser

Just checked the rear mech and it says Pat.81. It's possibly a '79 frame with newer parts but more likely an '81 bike. Not that I particularly mind.

Re: Not a '70's Moser

Pretty much sorted out the saddle.

First was to sort out the grey scuff areas. I lightly sanded then used leather dye and burnished, repeated a few times, with some oil and leather conditioner thrown in. Still need to do the final polish with shoe polish but the texture is now pretty much the same all over.

Just couldn't save the decals on the "spoiler" at the rear, could have half saved them but it looked scrappy. But did manage to get rid of all the junk whilst not ruining the chrome finish. It originally had a clear coat to give it more of a gold look which was pretty much gone so the rest had to go but the chrome still looks smart.

The Final Shine polish and sealer arrived so gave the pedals a final buff with it. It has very little bite, it's liquid, I guess equal to Goddards silver polish. So you'd use this right at the end. Will have to see if the sealant does its job.

Attachments

• Saddle-f.jpg
    Saddle-f.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 332
  • Saddle-Before-1f.jpg
    Saddle-Before-1f.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 332
  • Saddle-Before-2f.jpg
    Saddle-Before-2f.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 332
Back