New saddle

Rank_21":a9bx8f9k said:
I've had the B17 and the imperial version with the springs. Found them horrendous. I really tried to use it (2years) so that they mold in. Only time I found them ok, was when I wore no underwear, loose fitted clothing. Not so nice when hot and sweaty. Had many problems with them. Sold them, bought a old specialized saddle and a new specialized henge for the price I sold one haha. Jesus, can still remember suddenly bumping on something with my ass sores on the hard brooks leather. Its all preference of course.

I have read about that, takes forever to break in and some never find them comfy. I guess a part of me have been intrigued by the B17 and Brooks in general for quite a while, but the price is also quite a mouthful, unless it's on sale. Thank you for sharing your experience, I'll definitely take it into consideration.

walkbythesea":a9bx8f9k said:
B17’s are OK but boat anchor heavy, I’ve had one for a few years but never really found it lived up to the hype.

My favorite saddles are undoubtedly the Charge Spoon, cro-mo railed model is a £25 bargain! Can be had in Ti too for weight-weenies

Another vote for the Spoon it seems. I'll see if I might get lucky and find it on a Danish site, if not I guess I'll go to Triton etc.

stu":a9bx8f9k said:
I used to be a fan of the SDG Ventura back in the day, now most of my bikes have Madison Flux saddles, cheap and comfy.

Another saddle I rate is the Fabric Cell, have one on my commuter bike and would quite happily buy another :)

Cheers
Stu

SDG Ventura looks really nice. Madison Flux is essentially the Spoon, yeah?

Cheers lads
Chris

Hi Chris,

The Spoon and the Flux certainly look related :)

The Flux tends to be a little cheaper which is always a good thing ;)

Cheers
Stu

stu":2t67ilrb said:
Hi Chris,

The Spoon and the Flux certainly look related :)

The Flux tends to be a little cheaper which is always a good thing ;)

Cheers
Stu

Can't argue with a bargain. I might give the SDG Ventura a go in the future if I find one used in good condition, until then I'm starting to think the Spoon or Madison is the way to go. Reading some reviews and watching some YouTube videos about the Brooks saddle is giving me less hope for it by the minute. Maybe it's a good thing for my wallet? :LOL:

Thanks Stu

Another option could be the Brooks C17 Cambium if you want the look - I’ve not ridden one but they’re meant to be pretty awesome. They use a top made of a sort of rubberised fabric I think instead of the traditional leather - more forgiving and more weatherproof

walkbythesea":3ixd0jar said:
Another option could be the Brooks C17 Cambium if you want the look - I’ve not ridden one but they’re meant to be pretty awesome. They use a top made of a sort of rubberised fabric I think instead of the traditional leather - more forgiving and more weatherproof

I'll check it out, cheers mate

walkbythesea":3oqpa4qa said:

I keep meaning to try one of these, they certainly look good :)

Cheers
Stu

Re:

One of the good things about Fabric as well is that you can return it within 60 days and swap it for a different shaped one if the original is uncomfortable.

They will take any saddle as long as it hasn't seen an accident. But you could ride it for 60 straight days and really see if it fits, then return it.

It's just such a good system for something where the comfort is so personal that you can't really give advice for which shape will suit someone. So why not try them all?

Re: Re:

ILoveEnriqueAli":1c2dlfze said:
One of the good things about Fabric as well is that you can return it within 60 days and swap it for a different shaped one if the original is uncomfortable.

They will take any saddle as long as it hasn't seen an accident. But you could ride it for 60 straight days and really see if it fits, then return it.

It's just such a good system for something where the comfort is so personal that you can't really give advice for which shape will suit someone. So why not try them all?

That is a pretty cool system, I've found a few places here that sell Fabric so I'll definitely consider it.

As above, its all down to personal choice/fit.

I assume you are wanting a period correct one, so maybe try a Turbo as slightly wider than a Flite and a bit more padding. I have had a couple of pretty comfy Specialized saddles too so that could be another option.

mk one":1u2thbjj said:
As above, its all down to personal choice/fit.

I assume you are wanting a period correct one, so maybe try a Turbo as slightly wider than a Flite and a bit more padding. I have had a couple of pretty comfy Specialized saddles too so that could be another option.

Not super bothered about period correctness but as I've already modernised my bike a fair bit but I do like the look of some of the older saddles. Selle Italia Turbo does look fairly nice, and if seeing as it's wider than the Flite then I have high hopes for it. I reckon I'll swallow a few pints and hopefully choose one the many recommended saddles. :D

Once again, really appreciate the input I've got so far. If all goes wrong I'm buying the year supply of numbing creme!

Back