New saddle

Imlach

98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi,

Almost finished up my Rockhopper so I decided to take it for a gravel ride but I have to conclude that my saddle just won't cut it. I'd like to think that sitting down on the saddle should be a comfortable experience, but it's outright painful, especially when I pedal. I am using an older Selle Italia, pretty narrow one and it honestly makes me feel as if I've been battered up the backside. :evil:

Do you guys have any recommendations for a durable and comfy saddle for a heavy rider? I've been thinking about the Brooks B17 as I like the look of it, but it's a wee bit on the expensive side. I mostly do xc/gravel stuff.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Re:

A regular pounding to the arse toughens it up.

The pain will then fade.

Common 'cheap' saddles are (if still sold) Charge Spoons.
Like a comfy flite saddle.

I actually like the saddles Lidl (or Aldi?knsold a month ago, bought the trekking and MTB style, trekking style is nice. not ridden the MTB one yet.

Remeber to have a play with seat a for and position. Get the for aft done and then try 5 Deg oor so either way and see where it ends up confiest.
'Flat' is rarely the comfy positions at least for me.
Currently a long time Flite user, charge Spoon and now these Lidl.ones.

I did not like cheap Kona or Orange saddles, I couldn't ride past the end of the street. pain pain pain

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":2j4eg8vf said:
A regular pounding to the arse toughens it up.

The pain will then fade.

Common 'cheap' saddles are (if still sold) Charge Spoons.
Like a comfy flite saddle.

I actually like the saddles Lidl (or Aldi?knsold a month ago, bought the trekking and MTB style, trekking style is nice. not ridden the MTB one yet.

Remeber to have a play with seat a for and position. Get the for aft done and then try 5 Deg oor so either way and see where it ends up confiest.
'Flat' is rarely the comfy positions at least for me.
Currently a long time Flite user, charge Spoon and now these Lidl.ones.

I did not like cheap Kona or Orange saddles, I couldn't ride past the end of the street. pain pain pain

Perhaps I should invest in a year supply of numbing creme ;)

I appreciate the input, I haven't tried the Flite but that could definitely be an option. I'd be willing to spend about 50-60£

If anyone uses a B17 and is on the heavier side, do let me know, because I've seen a few on sale that are closer to my budget range.

Cheers

Re:

The flite is comfy, light but not for everyone.
it will hurt to start off with, especially if heavier.

unfortunately, it's really down to preference and trying them out.
Change you angles on the one you currently have, it alteres the sit and pressure points.
Shame you can't try other people bikes out at the moment. That's how I test them out.

The only reason I me Spoon Charge Spoon, is they're about £20 and if you don't like it, you can pass it on for similar to what you paid for it.
balaji unless it hurt instantly, give a saddle a few rides.

then look for a brooks. I've never used one.

FluffyChicken":3n3l49yh said:
The flite is comfy, light but not for everyone.
it will hurt to start off with, especially if heavier.

unfortunately, it's really down to preference and trying them out.
Change you angles on the one you currently have, it alteres the sit and pressure points.
Shame you can't try other people bikes out at the moment. That's how I test them out.

The only reason I me Spoon Charge Spoon, is they're about £20 and if you don't like it, you can pass it on for similar to what you paid for it.

then look for a brooks. I've never used one.

I did look up the Spoon and it actually looks quite nice, I'm thinking about giving that one a go but the Flite is also pretty appealing. You're probably right that it's really down to personal preference, but I do know for a fact that the one I have simple is too narrow. The Flite seems a fair bit wider. I'll play around with some different angles though. Appreciate your help Fluffy :D

I've had the B17 and the imperial version with the springs. Found them horrendous. I really tried to use it (2years) so that they mold in. Only time I found them ok, was when I wore no underwear, loose fitted clothing. Not so nice when hot and sweaty. Had many problems with them. Sold them, bought a old specialized saddle and a new specialized henge for the price I sold one haha. Jesus, can still remember suddenly bumping on something with my ass sores on the hard brooks leather. Its all preference of course.

Just to add - advantage of brooks, you can sell them if you don't like them. The specialized saddles cost me €10-20 each second hand, new condition.

Re:

B17’s are OK but boat anchor heavy, I’ve had one for a few years but never really found it lived up to the hype.

My favorite saddles are undoubtedly the Charge Spoon, cro-mo railed model is a £25 bargain! Can be had in Ti too for weight-weenies

FluffyChicken":nja12lmj said:

Charge also became Fabric.

The classic Flite/Spoon/scoop is there but they have evolved from the good old Titanium Spoon.

With various profiles to suit different riders...I've upgraded all my bikes from spoons to the fabrics.

I used to be a fan of the SDG Ventura back in the day, now most of my bikes have Madison Flux saddles, cheap and comfy.

Another saddle I rate is the Fabric Cell, have one on my commuter bike and would quite happily buy another :)

Cheers
Stu

Back