Saddle comfort - Turbo vs Unicanitor

Thanks for the link to your new bike which I had not spotted . It looks like a really interesting find , with
what looks like all original period correct components in very good condition (except saddle !)
The Italian bars may be the best clue to its origins ? Have you checked the date codes on the Shimano parts ?
and can you see a name on the dropouts ? A Unicanitor looks to be the ideal match

Thanks for the link to your new bike which I had not spotted . It looks like a really interesting find , with
what looks like all original period correct components in very good condition (except saddle !)
The Italian bars may be the best clue to its origins ? Have you checked the date codes on the Shimano parts ?
and can you see a name on the dropouts ? A Unicanitor looks to be the ideal match
The groupset is Deore MT60, with the first generation of Deore MT60 thumb shifters. So it's 1986 or 1987 I think.
The Italian bar is a good clue indeed. As well as the Campagnolo seat post.
No name found on the dropouts. But I should check again.

The bike seems to have a steep seat angle. That´s when short width saddles like Turbos and Flites feel better. I usually see Unicanitors on laidback seat angle bikes like Potts and Cunninghams. That´s my take and it´s slightly subjective. I will not chose a saddle based on looks.

The bike seems to have a steep seat angle. That´s when short width saddles like Turbos and Flites feel better. I usually see Unicanitors on laidback seat angle bikes like Potts and Cunninghams. That´s my take and it´s slightly subjective. I will not chose a saddle based on looks.
Again, great feedback. Thx
I often choose a saddle based on the look 😅. But I also try one or two alternatives in order to settle based on the confort.
Now I will add seat angle in my criteria 👍

Hi,

Do you have any website recommandation on saddle history?

I'm struggling to find info on the different Turbo models and their spec.

This one for example:
s-l1600.jpg
I wonder what was its purpose in comparison to the classic turbo.

It seems https://velobase.com/default.aspx is a good source of info.

I have found this description:"The Super Turbo does have a few enhancements over the standard model. The shell has anatomic depressions built into it to accept more padding under the sit bones, and the foam padding tapers to a feather edge at the lower edges of the saddle. The front plastic part under the nose of the saddle holds the leather covering firmly in place, making it more difficult for the leather to come loose in these areas."

Other websites?

Hi,

Do you have any website recommandation on saddle history?

I'm struggling to find info on the different Turbo models and their spec.

This one for example:
View attachment 766914
I wonder what was its purpose in comparison to the classic turbo.
Turbo is a shape. It can be built differently but the shape remains. That´s how italians do w/ saddles.

Back