Saddle comfort - Turbo vs Unicanitor

Jc24

Devout Dirtbag
Hi,
I'm thinking about replacing a beat-up saddle for a late 80s mtb I should receive soon.
I'm struggling between an Italia Turbo or a Cinelli Unicanitor. Both seem a great option,but the Cinelli is appealing to me as it's a less common one.
I've already ride a road bike with a Turbo and do not recall any comfort issue. But I have no experience with the Unicanitor. The plastic ones are the lightest.
Any feedback?
Best
JC

The original Unicanitor moulded plastic saddle was available with different levels of comfort determined
by the amount of padding fitted to the shell before the leather outer was fitted . A Unicanitor no.1 had
no padding at all , with progressively more padding until you reached no.4 ( I think ) They are identified
by a small round number label stuck under the shell . However after all this time there won't be a lot of
life left in the padding !

The original Unicanitor moulded plastic saddle was available with different levels of comfort determined
by the amount of padding fitted to the shell before the leather outer was fitted . A Unicanitor no.1 had
no padding at all , with progressively more padding until you reached no.4 ( I think ) They are identified
by a small round number label stuck under the shell . However after all this time there won't be a lot of
life left in the padding !
Good point. Thank you for sharing information.
That's why I might go for a plastic one.

Any comment on the saddle on the pictures?

Looks fine , go for it !

Saying that , I have never heard of a Cinelli Unicanitor Saddle being fitted to a MTB
mainly because the revolutionary plastic saddle design existed way before there was
such a thing as a MTB and as such its primary market was the road bike in various
competitive forms

Thank you and good point again.

The trend was clearly not pointing toward this saddle. Turbo, then Flite might be the classic go to (btw, my favorite for a 90s MTB is the Avocet O2 Air 40R: very light and comfy).

But some high end bikes were using the Unicanitor. I think it's the same in bmx.

Here are some examples:

Have a great day

Latest posts

Back