New /Old Viking frame!

Illaveago

Dirt Disciple
Last night I was given an old Viking frame. A friend of mine has had it lying in his shed for years. I can remember him spraying it back in 1970. He sprayed it in Ford Aubergine it was the colour of the time . A purple colour for those who don't know what I am talking about .
The frame is in a bit of a state . I can't post any pictures of it at the moment as I haven't made enough posts . So you will just have to continue with sound only for the time being.
The frame feels heavy at the moment . It is the same size as my1962 Conquest and is similar in style apart from the head badge and lugs . The badge is an earlier version , 1960, and the lugs appear to be Prugnat as opposed to Nervex. My friend thought that it was a Severn Valley but it doesn't appear to be so. The seat post diameter measured this morning was 26 mm. There is no seam weld visible so it is tubing . From some of the fittings it would seem that it had centre pull brakes and had a cable guide for a double clanger . The original colour looks to have been flamboyant blue from a few chips in the paintwork .
I will do some cleaning up today .

Last night I was given an old Viking frame. A friend of mine has had it lying in his shed for years. I can remember him spraying it back in 1970. He sprayed it in Ford Aubergine it was the colour of the time . A purple colour for those who don't know what I am talking about .
The frame is in a bit of a state . I can't post any pictures of it at the moment as I haven't made enough posts . So you will just have to continue with sound only for the time being.
The frame feels heavy at the moment . It is the same size as my1962 Conquest and is similar in style apart from the head badge and lugs . The badge is an earlier version , 1960, and the lugs appear to be Prugnat as opposed to Nervex. My friend thought that it was a Severn Valley but it doesn't appear to be so. The seat post diameter measured this morning was 26 mm. There is no seam weld visible so it is tubing . From some of the fittings it would seem that it had centre pull brakes and had a cable guide for a double clanger . The original colour looks to have been flamboyant blue from a few chips in the paintwork .
I will do some cleaning up today .
I look forward to seeing some progress on this new acquisition. Have you got access to the V-CC library to check it against old Viking catalogues?

I look forward to seeing some progress on this new acquisition. Have you got access to the V-CC library to check it against old Viking catalogues?
No I haven't .
I have been cleaning it up this morning . The rusty area on the bottom of the chain stays isn't as bad as it looks . It was rusty but not like an old exhaust pipe the way it looked . It looks as though someone fitted a larger rear axle as one of the seat stays has a bend in it .
The frame is similar to my Conquest , even the wheelbase looks similar . The different head badges should indicate that the new frame is older except that the frame number appears later numerically.by several hundred. A quick check of the conquest seat post and it looks like it would fit , so similar frame tubes In think .

I found the Library catalogues on our computer. This tablet is a bit restricted.
It would seem as though the frame is a later version of the Conquest , possibly 63 onwards which would tie in with the frame number being 54000 higher. From 1963 the Conquest had Prugnat lugs instead of Nervex. I thought that the head badge was an earlier style but it appears that the oval badge was used from 1955 onwards .

I found the Library catalogues on our computer. This tablet is a bit restricted.
It would seem as though the frame is a later version of the Conquest , possibly 63 onwards which would tie in with the frame number being 54000 higher. From 1963 the Conquest had Prugnat lugs instead of Nervex. I thought that the head badge was an earlier style but it appears that the oval badge was used from 1955 onwards .
This sounds like the beginning of a very satisfactory project. I look forward to later developments. Does the frame need a respray?

This sounds like the beginning of a very satisfactory project. I look forward to later developments. Does the frame need a respray?
Yes . A ot of the paint has worn off in places and there are lots of scratches , plus rust . One seat stay has been bent outwards , a larger rear axle must have been fitted at some point . The bike was originally flamboyant blue .

Latest posts

Back